What allowances do we have for outgoings ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1

chez775

Post by chez775 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:13 am
I am almost a year into my iva. I was living overseas when I took the iva now back in the uk. Iva company aware of my chance in circumstances but tbh they are really difficult to deal with. My annual review is due soon so I know they are going to crictising my outgoings. Can anyway tell me what allowances we have for our outgoings? I want to maximise what I can keep. Not to be sneaky but because they have told me certain things aren't included as 'essential' so I can't make allowances for it.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:45 am
It is not sneaky --- many IP's will lump unallowed for expenses into an allowed for group, as long as the figures stay within guidelines. There are no set rules ( only guidelines) so you need to put forward what you actually spend.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

chez775

Post by chez775 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:28 am
Ok but how do I know what the guildlines are? Is there somewhere I can find it and I can work with it?

Do you know how they should view things like the following?

I'm going to be moving into a new property so I need a deposit, fees, a few items such as a bed and sofa.

I have three cat's and one of them needs an operation. .They've told me I can't accommodate fir it in my budget and I have to use other allowances to afford it..this is how insensitive this place is.

I need to renew my passport next month. They told me that this isn't essential and I again have to use my allowances. I explained it's essential as it's photo ID and secondly my partner is non eu and for his visa t be renewed in august we have to send both our passports to the home office so I can't have an expired one. Again completely obstructive.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:35 am
They don't tend to publicly advertise the guideline amounts as this just makes people use the maximum's rather than what they actually spend. I don't know if they still use the same format -- but the Stepchange website used to have a calculator that you popped your spend in, for calculating disposable income and it would tell you if the guideline had been exceeded -- so you just up the figure until told !

Some IP's will allow pet related expenses, some won't. The operation cost could be catered for by agreeing a few months payment break ( if the IP agrees) -- this would be added on at the end of the term. The same applies for the moving expenses and passport -- payment break.

Which company are you using ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 am
I take it you don't have insurance for your pet? I would recommend it if you can - I was allowed insurance for all three of my dogs in my IVA.

I hope your cat will be ok.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

chez775

Post by chez775 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:18 pm
Well I'm with aperture now but I started off with clear debt..they told me that it had changed hands but I'm not sure if now they just sold me off to them.

I tried to find a budget calculator but I couldn't find anything.

I only pay £70 a month so a payment break would not cover the costs of moving.

I am sure they expect £30 to cover insurance and food for a pet. Are they insane?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:11 pm
It seems a very low monthly payment for an IVA. How much were your total debts if you don't mind me asking.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

chez775

Post by chez775 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:07 am
Yeah it's low because I moved to malta and my salary more or less halved with cost of living being about the same as it would be here. I intended on living there long term so my debt starting spiralling which is why I was advised to take the iva. I lost my job in january so I decided to come back to the uk so it's now coming up to my first review. I don't mind an increase but I still want to claim what I'm entitled to because it seems they are quite tight on what is allowed in the budget.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:50 am
Is there any reason why you could not have declared bankruptcy?

With your review put down what you spend on everything.
Bob Marley.

chez775

Post by chez775 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:34 pm
You can't declare yourself bankrupt outside the uk I'd have had to do it in malta.

I could afford the minimum payment on the iva anyway so tbh I didn't want to do that.

I know that's how it works but if I put I spend a certain amount on certain things are they going to come back and say this is too much. Then if I've not put other things down that I could have an allowance on to balance it they'll come back and want more money. I'm expecting an increase as I'm in the uk now and on a better wage but still want what I'm reasonably allowed.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:39 pm
Yes you can - it is done through the High Court and you either attend yourself or get someone to attend for you.
Bob Marley.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:40 pm
I did forget that it depends on how long you were outside the UK for.
Bob Marley.

chez775

Post by chez775 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:37 pm
Was too much hassle and I didn't mind paying it. I also don't mind an increase but still I want what I can have aswell. I am n a sales job so they'll also be getting their share of that so because of that I want to make sure I take the most I can. They will be getting at least £200/300 a minth extra with my commission so I want to keep my actual payment as low as I can xx
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”