Community spirit

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
17 posts Page 1 of 2

Allywally

Post by Allywally » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:00 pm
I have been in an IVA since February 2013 and it is ticking along nicely. I just want to say (what has probably been said countless times!) that I look at the forum daily, but don't post much and find it very reassuring to have friends who I am able to share my dreadful secret with. I am glad that I entered the IVA and proud to be paying what I can to my debtors but it is not something I can share outside my immediate family. Keep up the good work everyone :D

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:04 pm
Thanks Ally -- yes it is a great place to air our dirty laundry, so to speak :-) I also love that it actually helps people along the way.

There used to be a far stronger community feel -- but this has, sadly, dwindled --- but the forum is always open for a laugh and giggle as well as a moan and rant if anyone feels the need :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:16 pm
I agree with Foggy - I've been on here for almost 10 years and it has certainly changed - not as friendly as it used to be although I have made several good friends via this forum and met up with a few and also friends with some on Facebook. We used to have social gatherings a couple of times a year but that has disappeared now.

I do love that we are here to help and advise and even be a shoulder to cry on at times.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

moira717

Post by moira717 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:28 pm
I agree alleyway, this site is amazing. Not only for it's advice ( for me invaluable, as didn't have a clue what I was entering). I like you have not shared with anyone apart from husband and older son's and one very close friend (as can't afford many friends meals out now!). Yet I have opened up on this site, I think it it is the one place where I feel I will not be judged and where from experience others know and understand what I am going through. Kallis, foggy, Benjiboo and oya have been a real support for me and can't thank them enough, even putting up with my predictive text mistakes :D

moira717

Post by moira717 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:29 pm
Sorry allywally , yet another mistake!!!!!

moira717

Post by moira717 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:30 pm
Sorry meant allywally, have done it again :lol: :lol:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 pm
:roll: :roll:
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

recovering

Post by recovering » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:25 pm
I haven't told anyone about my IVA. Just me alone so this forum has been a lifeline. I wish I could get my original user name back so you lot know who I am! :D

Allywally

Post by Allywally » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:38 pm
I too had another username - i.e. Robbieboy

Oya

Post by Oya » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:07 am
Moira whenever i made a text mistake i remember you and smile :) l only said about my iva to my sister, my best friend and had to mention my work place when i first apply to confirm it wouldnt affect my job.. although i am not writing much , i check the forum every night and read nearly every post.. so far enjoying my stress free 2 weeks off.. i must admit i might have been check my chairmans report several time to make sure it really happened :) i may be in silence but always watching you my friends :)

moira717

Post by moira717 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:59 am
Lovely to hear from you oya, yes feels lovely now after all those stressful weeks panicking about not getting iva approved. Have to admit my phone calls and letters seem to have stopped too. Will probably get some today after saying that!! Life is definitely calmer and better, pleased it is for you too. :D xx

redboxtree

Post by redboxtree » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:26 am
We let a core group of people know and then just kept ourselves to ourselves.

This was reinforced by some negative experiences that some of us went through linked to what exactly was out there and how people could link it back.

I would say that some of the changes to the board functionality has impacted on the community spirit.

Changes were needed but there are hurdles to posting.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:46 pm
Great to hear the forum is supporting you all through your ivas. Like kallis and foggy says over the last 10 years the forum has changed no end .... but the three of us are hear to help and support you all when you need it - we may not be industry experts but we have all lived through an iva with very different circumstances for each of us, so I very much doubt there are many scenarios we have not come across.

I work full time so my time on the forum is limited to evenings and weekends - or the sleepless nights I often get ... post your questions, your moans or simply just share how you manage your budget - your experiences will all help others who are just starting out on their journey.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Allywally

Post by Allywally » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:17 pm
Having been a member since February 2013 I have noticed there are experts missing but it is still a great comfort to logon and just feel that I am with people who understand and can encourage me (maybe not directly) on my journey. There are people who started the journey at the same time as me and I remember one person, Spanna, who I often wonder about because things did not go very well for them last time I saw a post. I suppose I wish everyone felt the relief I have had going from the very depths of despair to belief I can hold my head up and that I am not the bad person I thought I was. I know I still have nearly two years to go (will have equity) but I am sure I will come out at the other end a better person and in a good place. Long may this forum last to help and advise those still to need support.

moira717

Post by moira717 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:26 pm
I totally agree. I kept my debts secret for 10 years. Was totally ashamed and embarrassed to tell anyone. When I made the iva decision It felt like my life had hit rock bottom. How wrong I was, I found this site and read many stories of people who were in same boat. Suddenly I wasn't alone and felt uplifted by the positive iva posts. It is nice not having to hide anymore and being able to speak to others in my position, also knowing advice is only a post away. I feel I am living again, (on a very tight budget!) But I am happier now than I have been in years and the relief undescribable. :D
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”