Gutted. My poor car

5 posts Page 1 of 1

downandout

Post by downandout » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:21 am
Looks like my trusty old, very old car may have just lost it's final battle. Some idiot has reversed into me and the initial insurance verdict is a write-off as the front end has been bashed and the radiator is up it, and the market value looks like £75 :( gutted.
The first step to getting back on track

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:44 am
Hope you can get something sorted.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

thisusernameistaken

Post by thisusernameistaken » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:52 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by downandout

Looks like my trusty old, very old car may have just lost it's final battle. Some idiot has reversed into me and the initial insurance verdict is a write-off as the front end has been bashed and the radiator is up it, and the market value looks like £75 :( gutted.
At the end of the day if you can demonstrate to the insurers that to put you back in the position you were in with an equivalent car would cost more then you can challenge their offer (you should always do this anyway, they'll send a laughably low initial offer in the hope you take it).

What was the car?

downandout

Post by downandout » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:44 am
It is a 16 year old 8 valve Astra with 140,000 miles on the clock, they seem quite keen on knowing if i am likely to put any money to repairing the car, possibly so they can offer less
The first step to getting back on track

thisusernameistaken

Post by thisusernameistaken » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:37 am
I would search for similar age/mileage Astras and gather together examples of what they're going for. Then put this to the insurers and show that a fair value to replace would be '£x'.

Your insurers should be pushing the insurers of the car that hit yours to pay out.

I'm in a similar position to you, my car is 17 years old with 165k on it - one small knock would write it off. :(

Argue with their insurers until you've exhausted every option, don't back down. Hope you get a result.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “my car, can I keep it, repairs, etc”