Please help - Harry!

10 posts Page 1 of 1

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:15 pm
Harry Puss is causing me yet more worry! He only eats dried food (James Wellbeloved) and I read an article last week saying that by feeding him dried food only I'm pretty much killing him.

The problem is he won't eat wet food. I won't give him Whiskas (he went off it anyway) as it's only 4% meat, but I tried him on Applaws which is a really natural wet food and he looked as me as though it's poison!

I want to do what's best for him, and when I asked for advice on a pet forum today I was accused of pandering to him and it being the same as feeding a child chocolate every meal time!

The article recommended feeding him raw or fresh cooked food, but I can't see him eating that either - we can leave meat or fish defrosting on the side and he won't touch it, and he's not interested in it when it's cooked either.

Am I doing something wrong, or should I carry on feeding him something I know he'll eat?

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:22 pm
I've no idea Skippy as I don't know much about cats but my friend Marianne breeds and shows pedigree cats and I will certainly ask her for you. Some of these dog/cat forums are like that I'm a member of a couple and sadly they're not always friendly places, we're non-judgemental but they certainly are. Leave it with me and hopefully Marianne will have some advice for you. I'll cross post your post if you don't mind and she'll get back to me very soon I'm sure x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:29 pm
Thanks for that Lesley, that's great.

I know I pander to him, but I'm not prepared to watch him starve!

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:34 pm
You look after him how you want Skippy and ignore criticism, my Mum had a dog who loved tinned peaches and polo mints (not together!), she only ate human food too, lived to a ripe old age and was happy in doing so.

I say do as you want and I try not to preach to people but do feed mine dry food and a BARF diet at times but only because I used to show them prior to the IVA, can't afford it now sadly although I'm going to crufts this year with a friend!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:40 pm
Here you go Skippy, Marianne's reply;

I've had cats like that. I stopped feeding dry complete after having problems (but lots of cats NEVER do have problems) and I had at least three cats that had never touched any wet food -my previous feeding regime was wet once a day and dry once a day so those cats just ate once a day. When I switched to wet only, a couple of cats lost a lot of weight as they simply did not want to eat. They did start eventually though -no animal will starve itself to death. What worked best for the worst one was Natures Menu pouches -cheaper than Applaws but complete (note Applaws can is NOT a complete food! so need supplements) and just as good -over 70 % meat. Might be worth trying that, but if all else fails -if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hope that puts your mind at rest Skippy, she is a champion breeder and does know her stuff I promse you x

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:09 pm
Thanks Lesley, and please thank Marianne for me, she's really put my mind at rest about Harry's diet xxx

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:17 pm
Sorry you've been fretting over Harry - I can understand you worrying though. Poor Harry's probably wondering whats going on [:)]

I'm glad lesley's friend has been able to help you [:)]

I agree with if it ain't broke don't fix it! Like children all cats are different and you do what is best for the individual.

Our 2 have a mixture of dry and wet food everyday. They let me know if they don't like something and I change it to something they do like. Been doing this since day one, nearly nine years ago! Hasn't done them any harm [;)]

Hope you and Harry are feeling happier now [:)]

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:21 pm
Much happier thanks - I no longer feel that I'm killing Harry!

I would love him to eat some wet food, but he seems dead set on doing what he wants - and that's one of the reasons I love him!

I'll definitely have a look at Nature's Choice though and try and tempt him!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:56 pm
If he's happy and drinking lots enough fluid, then I can't see dried food hurting him.

I had cats a few years ago when I lived in a flat, and they had dried and semi moist food and it did them no harm.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:26 pm
So glad you're feeling better Skippy.

My friend Kerri made me laugh she said;

Bob is fed dry only and has been for as long as I've known Harry (before that Harry used to let Bob lick his plates and then put them away without washing and he used to eat whatever was available including his defrosting turkey for christmas one year ). Bob is now 18 and is still going strong, mainly to spite me as we have never been the best of friends!!

I've met Bob the cat and he is certainly is still going strong x
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “pets corner”