Homeowner to tenant - a positive story

43 posts Page 3 of 3

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:35 am
It is a silly rule. Neither were council estates. I just got fed up of the snotty letters from the woman across the green complaining the van was an eye sore and she asked us to park it elsewhere, which was never an option.
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:44 am
I must admit I don't like it when we get vans parked outside our house - I know there's often nothing else the owner can do, but it's not pleasant looking out of the window to see a great big Transit!

Thankfully no-one has a caravan as that would be even worse!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:07 am
The only time we see caravans here is when the people are getting ready to go away in them. Otherwise they are stored elsewhere.

The couple of works vans which are parked are on the drives of the houses concerned and I can't see them.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

cath79

Post by cath79 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:10 am
Tigger

That's a lovely positive story. We're currently in the process of selling our house (mainly to pay a charging order where interest is £250 per month [:0]) both me and hubby are looking forward to renting, although some people think it's dead money and they seem to think having a mortgage is the most important thing in the world! Which is something that doesn't bother us, as Melanie said a house is just bricks and mortar!
Although both me and hubby are in an IVA so we'll have to pay 6 months rent in advance if we go through letting agency, although may have lined up a private landlord! We're both excited, just hope the house sells relatively quickly!

It's lovely to read about other people that are much happier renting

Cath x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:42 am
Hope you get sorted Cath.

Must admit that I will hang on to my house and mortgage if I can. Love the house and love where I live.

I suppose it is what people are happy with.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:52 am
Skippy wrote:

I must admit I don't like it when we get vans parked outside our house - I know there's often nothing else the owner can do, but it's not pleasant looking out of the window to see a great big Transit!

Thankfully no-one has a caravan as that would be even worse!
It was outside our house.Not hers. She was on the other side of the estate, across a masiive green!!!
There was no way we were going to move it. The equipment

carrie

Post by carrie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:48 am
Cath, my husband and I plan to do exactly the same as you because we are unhappy in our current home. We are just starting to make enquiries and have realised, as you say, most letting agents require 6 months up front if you have a poor credit score.
Are you having many viewings?

cath79

Post by cath79 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:52 am
Thanks Jan x

Hi Carrie, we're just in the process of putting the house on the market, but hopefully within the next few weeks everything will be sorted and will be able to start to have viewings (need the HIP done first) the estate agents seemed to think it shouldn't take too long to sell, so fingers crossed. We need to sort a few things out with our IP too, about how much money we could keep to relocate etc.

Do you know of any private landlords in your area? We've found one through of my hubby's friends, and they have a house perfect for us coming up within the next few months, and would only want a £500 deposit and 1 months rent and hubby was upfront about the IVA too, so may be worthwhile having a look to see if you can find anyone?
6 months rent is one heck of a lot of money to find to use as a deposit (especially when in an IVA)

Is your house on the market yet? I'm sure it'll be a huge relief for us both once house's are sold and found somewhere better to live.

Good luck with selling your house, you'll have to let me know how you get on

Love Cath x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:36 am
Things certainly seem to be working out for you at the moment and I'm so glad you have a house. The deposit is quite reasonable as well.

I suppose it depends on where you live and the attitude of the landlord as to how much you are expected to deposit initially. I do know of one poster on here who, as far as I know, still has to pay the rent 6 months in advance.

Hope the house sells quickly.
Bob Marley.

carrie

Post by carrie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:35 am
It's still early days for us. We have yet to seek permission from our IP.
I have a couple of jobs to do to get the house ready, so fingerscrossed we can go on sale in the new year. My parents are helping up out with deposits for rent. I will look for private landlords though.

Carrie x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:36 pm
Hope it works out for you Carrie - it's good that your parents are so supportive and able to help you out.
Bob Marley.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:28 pm
I would urge caution for anyone looking at renting privately. There is a lot more protection for both parties if you use an agent. They also ensure that any problems are dealt with quickly..a private landlord may faff or fob you off!
I personally know of some real horror stories from friends and family who have rented privately and I would never do it after having dodgy landlords in the past as a student!

mrs-tiggs

Post by mrs-tiggs » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:47 pm
Really interested in reading these posts and it is lovely to read such positive stories. [:D]

I have posted in the new questions section but have a dilemma about whether to sell up and rent as we desperately need to upsize. My husband says renting is dead money but I do keep reminding him that with an interest only mortgage we are effectively renting from the bank at the moment and haven't paid a penny towards our capital so what's the difference??

I will point him in the direction of this thread and see what he thinks.

Lesley x
IVA completed - May 2011. Now to figure out our next path....
43 posts Page 3 of 3
Return to “renting”