Renting a propery

15 posts Page 1 of 1

Maz

Post by Maz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:06 pm
Hi, I have not posted here for a while now and i am back. I really would like to rent somewhere to be closer to where i work. My IVA has finished in September 2012 and now i want to move but i am terrified of the credit checks. I have never defaulted in my IVA payments and had a pay rise last year during my final IVA year which i also paid towards but have had nothing to say it's finished. Would the IVA still show up on a credit score? I have viewed a few properties but got so stressed up thinking about the credit checks that I did not go ahead and offer to rent! the whole thing is stressing me up. I know from reading the other posts here some people have been lucky but then i dont want to have to pay up front which is big money making scam for estate agents to be turned down becaue of an old IVA. I would love to know what my credit sore would show now. I have upgraded my mobile phone with Vodafone no problem 3 months ago but they did not bother to credit check even though they do for new customers. i am thinking of applying for a loan or CC just see if it passes even though i dont want one ever! that way i can see what my credit score is. any advice welcome.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:39 pm
Have you got copies of your credit file from experian, equifax and call credit to see whats on file? That should be done 1st to check everything is updated after the iva ended.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:32 am
Are you saying that you have not received your final report from your IP yet Maz, or your Certificate of Completion?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Maz

Post by Maz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:32 pm
Hi Melanie, no i haven't yet and it's been over a year. when my IVA completed after 5 years in September 2012 and all payments promptly paid montly I never defaulted with nothing outstanding or any chasing from the IP company. then in July this year they wanted £900 which I paid and had saved up after my IVA ended in September 2012. It is now October 2013 and i have not had any correspondece since. I have called them to discuss but i dont have a land line and its an 084 number which i hate calling on my contract mobile. I should be free now i paid all what's due. its stressing me up and i need to get my own place again. Because i am now not paying into any IVA i have saved like mad to get a deposit together so I have that now but i am terrified of what any credit check would show. I have looked on the internet of experian etc. but they charge to credit check. is there any way of finding out with no expense?

thanks

Maz

Kelly O

Post by Kelly O » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:51 pm
Hi maz,

You can obtain a copy of your credit report for free via Noodle https://www.noddle.co.uk/ and you can sign up with Experian for a free 30day trial but make sure you cancel within 30days or you will be charged http://www.equifax.co.uk/Products/credi ... eport.html
Regards Kelly Osadare Debt Advice Manager at www.pjgrecovery.com (host to www.melaniegiles.com.)

PJG Recovery have a free online advice channel at www.debtadvicetv.com. If you are ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.pjgrecovery.com/contact-us.asp . I look forward to speaking to you.

Maz

Post by Maz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:15 pm
Thanks for this information. I am a bit dubious about giving my card details online though when asked in applying for a free credit check. Is there any other way without having to give my bank details and card number to check credit score?

Kelly O

Post by Kelly O » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:49 pm
Unfortunately giving the card details is part of the identification process but if you did not want to provide card details you can write to the credit reference agencies enclosing a cheque for £2.

http://www.equifax.co.uk/Products/credi ... eport.html

and http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/stat ... eport.html
Regards Kelly Osadare Debt Advice Manager at www.pjgrecovery.com (host to www.melaniegiles.com.)

PJG Recovery have a free online advice channel at www.debtadvicetv.com. If you are ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.pjgrecovery.com/contact-us.asp . I look forward to speaking to you.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:19 am
Which IP firm are you with Maz?

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:15 am
Have you attempted to email your IP or write to him recorded delivery ..... Would have thought by now you should have heard from them.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Maz

Post by Maz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:26 pm
Hi Melanie, I am with Freeman Jones since September 2007 and they always take so long to do anything and have had about four different contacts during the lastg 6 years. I just want to finalize it now after over 6 years! Also I want to get my credit rating back to normal and have my name taken of that inolvency register. I need to now rent somewhere and having this hanging over me is putting me off going through with renting or trying for a mortgage. i need to know my credit rating now so that I can have the confidence to move on. I have had a mobile phone contract for 10 years and paid promptly, I have just upgraded last July and I am not sure if a credit check was done but i had no problem with the company. Do you think i should apply for a credit card (even though i dont want one) just to see the outcome?

All i want is to be back to normal with no outstanding debts ever again, no credit and my name off that register. I have paid my IVA promptly every month for 5 years and then a final sum of £900 last month to just clear my final bill which was sent from the IP, how they worked that out I do not know but i Paid just to be in the clear so that i can move. But right now i feel stuck! I dont have a partner, i am on my own in this which is very stressful. Last year I was lucky to escape redundancy and was saved TG! what would FJ do then? I will phone that company again tomorrow to see why they are taking so long. I was even considering lying to estate agents to say i have only lived here for the last 6 months giving my previous address abroad (i am not originally from the UK) but not ideal if my current job started 8 years ago.

I cannot send a cheque to pay for anything as i have not had a cheque book since 2005. I know i have got excellent references everywhere else it's just this credit score that i am nervous about. What to they look at when credit scoring? As i have had no loans or credit card payments for the last 6 years would it show just zero? or does check for IVA's still being active?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:39 pm
Whilst you are still bound under the terms of the IVA, then you would fall in breach of those terms if you sought credit for more than £500 - assuming that these provisions are contained within the IVA, so I would tread with care if you do not intend to notify your supervisor of this.

I also don't recommend you fibbing about your circumstances, as this does tend to catch up with you eventually, but hopefully the Freeman Jones representatives who post on the forum will pick up on your complaint, and try to contact you to resolve the reason why your case is taking so long to close.

Maz

Post by Maz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:49 pm
I dont want to obtain anymore credit, i just want to know what credit score I get especially now as I have not had any loans or used a credit card since 2005. I will contact my IP IVA supervisor tomorrow and explain my renting a property situation and see what they advise. I would really like to know what credit score would show up.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:39 pm
I am not sure that your IP will be able to help you with credit scoring issues, but hopefully they will allow you to explore perhaps a credit card with a modest credit limit on it - if they are unable to close your case for good reason that is.

Steven Hewitt

Industry Expert

Post by Steven Hewitt » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:29 pm
Hi Maz,

I'm sorry that we've not communicated with you since your last payment was made into your IVA and I'd like to look into this for you. Please can you email us at info@freemanjones.com, with your name and reference number.

Thank you
Steven Hewitt - a member of the team at Freeman Jones

Maz

Post by Maz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:10 pm
Hi Steven

I will email tomorrow thanks, I tried calling today again but have to wait on the phone as line always busy, i'ts an 084 number and costs so much on mobile phone. I just want to rent my own place again after 8 years of renting when i was in IVA for the last 6 years. I left my rented property in April 2013 to move in with a friend to help save. My IVA ended in September 2012. It was too expensive to stay where i lived with a 60 mile round trip evey day to work (cost so much on petrol every day) hence why i had to move. But now i just want my credit check back to normal please.

What would the credit score show now that I am out of the IVA since september 2012? I have never had any CCJs or bankruptcy orders? I was informed by estate agencys that CCJs and bankrupt orders is what they look for? What is a bankruptcy order?

Is there anyone out there with similar problem renting? and how have you coped?

I dont want another loan, cedit card etc. never again. I had never any problem with paying phone contracts, household utilities etc, it was having multiple credit cards that caused the debts. all i want is to be able to rent now and then evetually buy a property.

Steven can you also email me direct please?

Thank

Maz
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “renting”