IVA depression

8 posts Page 1 of 1

rosie_percy

Post by rosie_percy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:20 pm
Having been in an IVA for years now I have finally declared bankruptcy and find myself in a depression down fall. My family have recently sent me to **Link removed as per other identical post** as they were worried about me. After a few weeks of therapy, I am feeling so much more positive about my life and finances. I just wanted to let people know that even if you are in an IVA there is no reason to get depressed and even if you do there are people out there, like the Clinical Partners have been there for me recently!
Last edited by rosie_percy on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosie

2year2go

Post by 2year2go » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:29 pm
Hey Rosie, good to hear. I can't imagine anyone who's been in financial difficulty not to get dragged down by it all and glad to hear that you're making it through.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:07 pm
Hi Rosie_percy - I'm a but curious here.

If your IVA had run for many years, what led you to feeling that bankruptcy was a better option? Did you suffer from a change in circumstances, and if this affected your payment level why did your IP not try to vary the IVA to have creditors accept what you had paid in to date in full and final settlement?

Glad to see that you have sought some help with the depression. I know from first hand experience how awful that can be, and it can be difficult to drag yourself out of that situation. Good on you for recognising the symptoms and seeking help.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:06 am
I have to say that we are over the half way point but it feels like we have been in ours forever :(

zarron

Post by zarron » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm
yes i remember that feeling well.. at my lowest point in my IVA i do remember eating nothing but sardines and beans on toast for a long time! but you do learn a very good lesson from it and my finances these days are well controlled because of the hardship i went through for 6 yrs.. in a way i told myself i deserved it for being so reckless having spent on 11 credit cards up to their limits and with the total minimum payments coming to over a thousand pounds when i only earnt about £900! so yes its hard but you do learn to manage money properly afterwards.

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:39 pm
Glad to read Rosie-Percy that you have sought help and are feeling in a better place. Depression is a nasty thing that can creep up on you and take hold. It is important to remember that there is help out there and however hopeless things can seem - there is always a way though and hope will return. Glad to read things became more positive for you too Zarron.

Hang in there Imhotep and remember we're here for you if you're ever feeling the strain of it all. You're over half way - that is a major milestone and achievement - well done and keep going!
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

orange

Post by orange » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:15 pm
iva are enough to make you ill !! when you reach the point of where there is no way forward but the iva ,its like torture,for us not pleasent and the company were shocking too but we thought we had done this to our selfs ,they werent interested that the payments were too high ,there were times we had had no food and petrol ! no one new but we survived and much the better for it several years on life much more of a calm not much money still but a road we will never go down again xx keep positive
completed july 2011

wiggle1

Post by wiggle1 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:59 pm
I agree with what you say, orange, only my company were quite supportive when times got really hard, illness etc. But the living expenses allowed are definitely not enough especially if you have kids. My husband and I skipped meals in order to pay for music exams etc.
Life after IVA is wonderful.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “bankruptcy”