Settlement Figure.

5 posts Page 1 of 1

poppy13

Post by poppy13 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 pm
Hi Everyone,

Have today been in touch with Grant Thornton but it seems that all we can do is borrow the money to make a full and final settlement. My sister has said that she can do this for us. Can anyone give an idea on how much we should offer, all we have left to pay is four months at £1238.00 and one month at £517.65 A total of £5469.65. My other query is how long it may take to get this in motion. With my husbands health as it is I would like to get this sorted as soon as possible, reading other peoples questions I do wonder if it will end up running the full time.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:57 pm
To be honest -- the IVA will probably run full term -- it usually takes 2 - 3 months to get a variation organised. Again, because of the little time (if any) it would save, added to the fact that it will cost them around £500 in extra fees, an offer much below what you have left to pay would possibly not be accepted.

I do think that GT are being singularly unhelpful here ... did you speak with the IP or a senior case worker? Some of the call handlers are not as useful as they like to think they are !

Maybe an option would be for your sister, rather than making a lump sum offer, tides you over with payments until the end of the arrangement.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:00 am
An offer of £4.5/5k would seem attractive but as Foggy points out by the time the meeting is called and variation (potentially) accepted there may not be too much left to run on your IVA s you would need to be quick about it

Is there any particular reason you are desperate to finish early?
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

poppy13

Post by poppy13 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:47 pm
Hello,

Your answers are rather what I expected concerning a full and final settlement. As there are not many months left on the IVA I think we have to sit it out. My reasons for wanting to end this early were number one, my husbands health issues and number2 the fact that his work was looking to come to an end in June. On Friday he was told that his present contract is to continue until August and then that another two years work would follow on from that. As you can see the pressure work wise has been removed and we can breath more freely. I now have to hope the health side of things remain stable.

Grant Thornton are so unhelpful, no matter how I press them they will not put me through to a person with specific knowledge, I can only get as far as the call centre person who says he has the knowledge to answer my questions even when I point out that I have had a lot of conflicting answers from people in the past. I still get the answer that we do not have a case manager but that things are handled by a team. I find this hard to believe and I have to say that I am not a walkover for them and do press them really hard for answers. This company has been really difficult from day one and we do bitterly regret the fact that we were put in touch with them. The problem is that when we first considered the IVA we had little knowledge of all things it entailed, we have learnt as things have gone on. So far it has been a really difficult six and a half years. I know the mess was of our own making but we do think the IVA was the wrong option. The end is in sight, thankfully.

I do have another question to ask but need to put more thought into it so will contact again another time. Thank you All.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:02 pm
GT do work in teams -- which means a very disjointed service and really frustrating as they also seem to take their own good time on handover from one team to another ( who do not appear to otherwise communicate).

It might be that the IVA was the best option at the time and things woud be looking different now had you been given the support you deserve by a sympathetic IP.

Anyway -- all that said and done, you are very nearly there and should be rightly proud to have made the journey.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “full and final settlements”