6 years

56 posts Page 2 of 4

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:12 pm
I fully intend to do the same. This forum has been a lifeline for me, both in practical terms and emotional support.

You do read of people who have finished, but never see them on here again, a great pity.

If I can help someone else who is just starting off, then great. Really pleased that you will continue as well Andrew.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:15 pm
Also Andy's the Site Manager of IVA.co.uk and it would be nice to hear what it is like for Andy Now that he has got to the other side and what his life is like today .
We know what Andy's life was like leading upto the IVA but what is Andy,s life like today now that he has got through it all.
What are the Positives of a Sucessfully Concluded IVA and what benefits has it been to Andy and his family.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:49 pm
I could be wrong, never having been there before, but I fully expect my life to continue as it does now, just with more money at my disposal, and no creditors to worry about.

I don't intend to have any credit ever again.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Kallis i am 8 down with 52 to go and cannot wait to get this Episode out of my life.
I don't really believe that you can never have credit again as you are bound to need it one day.
I think the lesson to be learned here is to use credit sensibly and within your means.
Life is a lesson and i think Banks giving people credit limits of £10000 is a recipe for disaster.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:00 pm
I agree that some people will need credit, and thses financial problems should have taught us to spend responsibly once we are debt free, but as I almost an old git, and hubby is an old git, we shouldn't be needing any. I shall save up for what I want in future.
Bob Marley.

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:55 pm
I am hoping that I shall never need to use credit again, apart that is from re-mortgaging in a couple of years to get me off my sub-prime interest rate.

I have managed to acquire a brand new car lease car despite my non-existant credit rating now, I have a couple of Mastercards (pre-paid cards) which allow me to function personally and for my business. I am going back to the old ways ... I wont buy it if I haven't got the money and things that I do want I will save up for. Old fashioned values and ways perhaps [:)]

Debbie
Debbie

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:43 am
Hi
I obtained a mortgage whilst in an IVA,a credit card once out of the IVA,with the IVA still on my credit file.I also have a contract mobile phone.My wife also has a catalogue account
So the answer is that you can rebuild your credit file before the six years are up,or maybe I have just been lucky !!
The difference now is that I only have and want ONE credit card,the high APR is irrelevent as I keep a very low balance on it and pay like clockwork[infact my limit has gone from £500 to £2500]
I think the secret is to start realistically,no point applying for a Hight St Bank credit card,try Vanquis[excellent customer care service]
Also I believe that the Co-op cashminder account reports to the credit file companies each month,another way to rebuild your credit.
However,as I keep saying on this forum,you are so rehabilitated regarding finances that you are probably one of the safest credit risks out there
Regards
Andam Davies

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:58 am
The Co-op Cashminder does report to the credit agencies, as does the Nationwide Flexaccount. I've got both of them, and a contract mobile, and I will be keeping all 3 in order to gradually improve my credit score.

I respect anyone who completes an IVA, whether it's through doing the full 5 years, or early through a full and final.
Last edited by Skippy on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:08 pm
Cheers for the Post Andy,
It's refreshing to hear about someone who has come through the otherside of there IVA and tell us what life is like Now for Themselves.
It's ok reading posters that are in an IVA but they are really all saying the same things i want to say and going through the same thing

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:11 pm
Maybe there should be a folder for people who are completed IVA'ers and tell us what changes and what there lives are like now!!!
How they have learned buy it and what there situation is like Today.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:24 pm
Barclays also report to the agencies as well. We've still kept that one open and intend to keep it (unless they close it), then at least we have a cheque account once we have finished.

I've also got a mobile phone contract, so that helps.

Even if you did have a folder, there don't seem to be many people who do post after their IVA is finished, so I reckon it would be empty.
Bob Marley.

flow13

Post by flow13 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:11 pm
My sister was made bankrupt about 7 years ago, and for a while she was only allowed a bulding society account. However, she has stayed away from credit cards etc, and a few weeks ago she went into her bank (the Abbey I think) and they told her that she had a really good credit rating and offered her a Gold account with overdraft and credit card - the works. She took it, but I know if it was me I wouldn't. Like some others, the only credit I ever want after I have finished the IVA is a mortgage or maybe a loan for a car.
Its now time to start living and to make some some wonderful memories!
Read my blog at http://flow13.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Aiming for the finish line'

helen c

Post by helen c » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:36 am
Hi,
Completed my six years 21/8/08. Had to chase Equifax to remove debts from my credit file but Experian everything was removed on the day!
My bank, who I have a basic account with, have my salary paid into and have been with for 6 years plus, tells me I now show on their scoring system that I can now have a "normal account". My credit score on Experian is 999 (high) but not sure if that counts for much. I am going into my bank on 6/9 to see if I can have the account so will update when I get a result...either way!
I have a pre-pay credit card but not sure if I really want another credit card just yet...think I will start with trying for the bank account and see how it goes.
If anyone wants to ask anything about after the six years pleaase ask and I'll try and help[:)]

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:49 am
Hi Helen
Please keep us all updated
Regards
Andam Davies

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:00 am
Interesting observations Helen ... an informative posting. I looked at the Vanquis credit card after Andy posted the link and I was really surprised at how the mere thought of gaining credit again really scared me, so I am content at the moment with my prepaid card and am trying to build a little nest egg now so that I can become my own credit provider! Should I charge myself interest on my loans to myself do you think? [:D]

Having had my full and final completed in June I also haven't been brave enough to look at my credit files either ... mmmm, shall I?, shan't I !?

Debbie
Debbie
56 posts Page 2 of 4
Return to “IVA completed !!”