Grant Thornton (banging head against a wall)

39 posts Page 2 of 3

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:57 am
They are definately not a badly run business - but you do need some answers as to the anticipated timescale and the reasons for the delay. I would send another e-mail to Karol to see if she can put you in touch with someone at managerial level at least who can give you those assurances.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Flossie

Post by Flossie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:53 am
My final payment was made to GT at the end of August 2011. I had read that it could take up to 6 months for my certificate to come through so I left it. i rang GT on Wednesday gone and they said that there was a delay due to the Government querying VAT on IVA's. I was told tht my Creditors would be aware of this. I said that I needed my Certificate to complete my paperwork and to put my mind at rest that this was over for once and for all. I asked that they send me a letter stating that all payments had been received. Am still waiting for it to arrive.
Flossie :)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 pm
Unfortunately Flossie I doubt you will get a letter anytime soon as that would be a completion one and they're not sending them out at the moment because of the VAT problem.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:01 pm
I think your definition of "not a badly run business" and the argument against it being so is a little clouded Mel. You may have inside information or know some of the IP's at GT but to anyone reading the reams of threads complaining about GT's lack of response to queries and length of time to close IVA's, plus their total disinterest in the plight of some posters who desperately NEED a payment break for not unreasonable requests I believe the argument stands true. I personally am angry at GT, not because they have wronged me (yet), but because the longer this issue continues the closer the conclusion to them closing my IVA is.

P.S. Not a dig at you Mel.
Last edited by MerlinL14 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:12 pm
I agree Merlin that forum users shouldnt be feeling like they are pestering their IP when making simple requests. Karol acts as a very good buffer on here but we do seem to be seeing lots of issues(non vat or ppi related).

Too many cases in my opinion.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Flossie

Post by Flossie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:41 pm
I did get my letter from GT on the day of my last post on here 11/02/12

It confirmed that I had in fact paid all of my payments and that they, GT, would be happy to send my Completion Certificate once the VAT issue with the Government was resolved. Although I still don't know how long the VAT thing is going to be dragged out for I have the piece of mind now that they have confirmed that all my payments have now been made.
Just to got wait for my Certificate now....fingers crossed it wont' take much longer. My last paymetn was end of august 2011. :-)
Flossie :)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 pm
At least you know that you have completed your payments Flossie - do hope you get your certificate soon.

This VAT thing is just dragging on now.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

vince666

Post by vince666 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:05 pm
The situation for anyone with GT is not 100% straightforward due to the various acquisitions they have made over the last couple of years.

If you were with GT from the outset then you will need to wait until GT receive their VAT refund from HMRC before they will close.

If, like me, you transferred to GT from Blair Endersby, it is likely that the only VAT charged was by BE and not GT. BE apparently had different charging structures so it is important to establish on which basis they were charging VAT on their fees.

If BE charged fees exclusive of VAT (eg £100 + VAT) then like me, you are waiting for Paymex (BE's parent company) to receive their VAT refund before passing it on to GT so they can close the case.

If however BE charged their fees inclusive of VAT then BE will be entitled to keep the VAT refund for themselves, so there is no reason for your closure to be delayed.
Last edited by vince666 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completion certificate received 31 March 2012.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:02 am
I just notices Merlin's post of 12 February which I had not noticed earlier.

Just to clarify my position - I act independently and do not let my judgement be clouded by anything or anyone. I report as I see it, where I can - and where I cannot I do not profess to have expert knowledge.

Just because there are a handful of complaints on this forum at the moment for one or two firms - there are literally thousands of happy clients who silently know that they have received good service from those same firms.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:21 am
I try to be in contact with GT on a regular basis but emails remain unanswered and getting through on the phones without being on hold for an eternity seems nearly impossible.
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:42 pm
Hi, I'm having a similar issue. Completion in June 2011 and no completion certificate from GT. Constant promises but nothing coming through. I appreciate that they may (now) be feeling the full weight of taking on BE but I don't see why that should impact on those of us who have been through what we have for the last five years, if it was a customer supplier relationship we would not stand for it and nor would the relevant ombudsman. I'm at the point now where the I think the IVA will have dropped off my credit report before I get my certificate. I guess the dream of rebuilding my life will have to be delayed for longer, fed up. Also, I don't think the VAT issue should Impact. The creditors would have a separate claim against the I.P. dependent on the terms of their agreement with them. Also, the recovered VAT would probably just offset the irrecoverable VAT costs that the I.P. would now incur as a result of making VAT exempt supplies.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 pm
Can I suggest that those posters with GT who are experiencing communmications problems make contact directly with Karol who does a fantastic job on the forum and beyond. I know Karol and her immediate line manager very well, and I can assure you all that client service is at the forefront of their minds and that they will do whatever they possibly can to sort things out for you.

spla

Post by spla » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:35 pm
can i suggest reminding our selves of the time before we worried about completion certifacates back to the time when the phone wouldnt stop ringing with demands for money ,our iva is complete ,yes we want closeure it to finsh , grant thornton got me through a very hard time in my life showed me away forward , light at the end of the tunnel , yes its been hard but not as hard if they wernt there to help me , i waited months for my certificate but i got it ,can only imagine how the poor sole is feeling just starting out in a iva or thinking about it and reading this and wishing it was them waiting for it, i spent a lot of time on here reading posts and reading that famous line , an exspert will be on shortly to answer your question ? melanie would pop up to give support and help and i can remeber the sleeples nights mel would pop up and answer a question about 3 oclock in the morning , so i can assure anyone mel is on here as our friend aswel as a iva expert

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:09 pm
Thank you spla - especially for the very sensible comparisons about life before, during and after an IVA.

markiboy

Post by markiboy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:40 pm
My IVA was with Accuma and GT took over it. They were a nightmare to start with and I asked for help on here.

Karol has been a star and I can't thank her enough. I must admit they are slow when you ring them but very polite. I was getting a text every month to contact them as they said I was a month in arrears which I wasn't. It did take about 6 months but they did sort it out. I am hoping to make them an offer in May for F&F, hoping it will be accepted???
I am not 100% but you cant get credit until 6 years is up not that I want any therefore the certificate is not important, therefore if you have to wait then I can't see that a problem?? Please update me if I am wrong. Please contact Karol I am sure she will help and sort it. Wish me luck in May and the IVA has taught me so much about life, it cost me a divorce but hey ho life goes on.[;)]
39 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “IVA completed !!”