HELP DFD won't answer my questions about POA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
22 posts Page 2 of 2

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:08 am
I think it is a Richardson Mail thing. I'm with Varden Nutall but RM are handling my claims and I had to sign POA too. When I sent back an annotated letter giving limited POA for a defined time limit it was recorded as received and then lost. So I just signed the big standard letter to try to hurry things up.

Til

Post by Til » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:54 pm
That's what I'm wondering Broke ... is it DFD insisting or Richardson Mail?

Either way I'm not happy signing such a powerful document when it's not needed.

I've had a lovely email back from Judith saying she will look into this for me and get back to me so fingers crossed perhaps an answer will be forthcoming.

If not I think I will have to investigate any claims myself with the 2 years I have left - that way I will pay over more (if PPI exsists which I doubt) as RM wouldn't get any fees and I would not have to sign a POA form that is not necessary.
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

Til

Post by Til » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:40 pm
Just an update as still nobody from DFD has got back to me ... but in the meantime I've had a couple of replies from Creditors in relation to PPI ... one has confirmed it existed so far, so I am putting in a claim for that and will do so for any others that say it exists ... then my IVA gets the full pot of PPI money and I do not have to use a Claims Management Company that will take a whopping cut and have me sign away Power of Attorney when it's not needed.

I have 2 years until our IVA is done so my mission is to chase down any PPI myself in that time. It's now a matter of principle.
Last edited by Til on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

canaries

Post by canaries » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:06 pm
I think asking you to complete a POA is out of order, especially to someone you don't know, no way would I sign one unless i was ill and unable to handle my own affairs.
I would refuse point blank to complete a POA for them, but make it clear you aren't refusing them the the ability to claim PPI just the POA.

Til

Post by Til » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:47 pm
Thanks, I agree Canaries. Power of Attorney is too powerful a thing to just sign away. They told me it was limited to claims but upon reading it it was very vague and also seemed to have no end date on it so could potentially exist forever!

As I said I will now chase down any claims myself so that I do as my IVA requires but without signing a POA and without giving a cut to a greedy claims management firm either.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:50 pm
There is no harm to pursuing the PPI claims yourself, without using a claims management company, and don't forget you can also claim against loans or debts which may have been paid off prior to your IVA being accepted, and not just those in the arrangement.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Til

Post by Til » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:53 pm
Thank Melanie - yes indeed I've already dug out details of one old loan we had that was paid off about a year before the IVA so will be approaching them too [:)]
Last edited by Til on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

22 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”