Is it right that we just have to accept a year's extension ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

craig852

Post by craig852 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 pm
We are in year 6 of our iva after it was extended a further year as we had our repayments reduced . It is meant to be finished June this year. We've had remortgage quotes as requested and cannot get one to release any equity, sent the letters off which our company are happy with, however they now say their extending the iva for another year and there's nothing we can do about it just to except it. Is this right?

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 am
It is the normal process when equity cannot be released.
As you have had to extend your original iva term when payments were reduced this will have ensured your 'minimum' return before equity release had been met. The equity still needs to be addressed and this is the 7th year in your situation.

I know it is not what you wanted to hear but at the end of the iva you will have met all of your obligations as set out in your IVA chairmans report
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:51 am
As Luluj correctly says, yes, they can extend further -- the earlier extension being made to enable you to make the reduced payments and this one being in line with the agreed terms to address equity. The only thing you can do is to make sure that the equity clause has, indeed, been triggered. Do you agree with the valuation ? (Did they provide it or did you ? ) and is the equity over £5,000 ( your share if the property is jointly owned) ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:22 am
As Foggy say, the key is the valuaiton. If you can show you have less than £5k equitable interest then the extension should not apply, subject to your terms.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”