Bailiffs and council tax
- Council Tax and Poll tax is in most cases collected by private firms of bailiffs who work on behalf of the council.
- The process works of the bailiffs attempting to take your possessions and sell them on at auction.
- This therefore provides them with funds to pay off any existing debts.
- Each Bailiff must be certified by the county court.
- Bailiffs follow a system known as distraining or levying.
- Do I get prior warning a Bailiff will be coming?
- Bailiff's entry rights
- What rights do the Bailiffs have if they have already entered my property?
- Are there specific items a Bailiff can take?
- What are the rules on items that do not belong to me?
- Can I remove goods to stop the Bailiffs taking them?
- Are there procedures Bailiffs must follow?
- Can I stop a Bailiff?
- Record of Payments
- If the Bailiffs cannot retrieve the money, what happens next?
- Is it possible to make a complaint?