A close family member has offered to gift the total amount

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
ism
by ism » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:16 am
I am 48 months into a 60 month £12000 IVA with the option to extend a further 12 months for the equity release clause from my property.
i remain unemployed and survive on my military pension and support from family and friends.
a close family member has offered to gift the total amount owing unto and including the 6th year amount as i now struggle to meet the payments each month due to county court ordered alimony payments to my ex wife.
what is the probability of my creditors accepting the offer?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:36 am
ism wrote:
I am 48 months into a 60 month £12000 IVA with the option to extend a further 12 months for the equity release clause from my property.
i remain unemployed and survive on my military pension and support from family and friends.
a close family member has offered to gift the total amount owing unto and including the 6th year amount as i now struggle to meet the payments each month due to county court ordered alimony payments to my ex wife.
what is the probability of my creditors accepting the offer?

A full and final offer based on the number of payments outstanding (including the 12 month extension) multiplied by the current monthly payment is often an attractive proposition for creditors -- it saves them in administration costs as well as allowing them to remove the toxic debt from their books earlier.

Assuming your payments are £200 a month and you have 24 to make, your creditors are expecting around £4,800 -- I would think an offer of £4k would be looked at seriously.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:38 am
Agree with Foggy - sounds like a good offer.
Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:06 am
That amount of an offer would be very attractive to creditors. Indeed they may even allow the IVA to close with a lower amount or possibly payments to date given your current circumstances. Creditors can be very sympathetic to former members of the military.
sheraz.butt
Industry Expert
by sheraz.butt » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 am
Yes I don't see them not accepting that as it is very reasonable considering your situation.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”