Allowances

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

Loobylou17

Post by Loobylou17 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:31 pm
Could anyone help me with regards to what sort of things I’m allowed to keep doing/paying for? Such as:

Children’s swimming lessons
Son’s football every week
Gym membership
School lunches
Hair cuts
School uniform/clothes/shoes
Pet insurance

Also, what do I do about school holidays with regards to childcare- obviously spend more during this time than a normal month so how does that work? Do I just use an average over the year?

Do I get to keep any money for general day to day living? Birthday gifts, trips to the cinema etc? (I know this is probably wishful thinking :( )

Apologies if the answers to these are something obvious, this is all very new to me. I am a newly single parent and trying to work out what is going to be the best way to get myself back on my feet.

Thanks

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:53 pm
Children’s swimming lessons -- will probably have to be covered by other expense categories ( extra fiver on shopping, fuel etc.) --- General sports hobbies are £20 for you and £10 per child
Son’s football every week --- as above
Gym membership --- will probably have to be cancelled
School lunches --- Max guidelines is around £50 per child
Hair cuts ---- £12 per month for you and £5 per child
School uniform/clothes/shoes --- General clothing & footwear alowance is around £25 (max £34) for you and £20 per child
Pet insurance --- £34 max to include food.

On top of those things like: Emergencies up to £15 for you £11 per child. Dentist £14 for you (kids are free) Medicines £11 for you (again kids are free). Mobile around £50 (might have to provide proof). Satellite TV -- up to £26. School trips £7 per child. Pocket money £12 per child. Meals at work £42 for you. Petrol & parking up to £200. Spares and servicing up tp £30. Food, toiletries & cleaning max £222 for you and £86 per child.

Then there are things based on actual cost: Electricity, gas, water, car insurance, council tax, rent.

Some IP's will make an allowance for smoking and mine allowed £5 a month for newspapers & magazines !
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 pm
Oh --- yes ... we averaged childcare monthly and put it aside during school time to cover the holidays. Birthdays and Christmas are not specifically catered for but have to be budgetted for from other allowances (and we used vouchers from surveys etc.)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

abbiesmum2003

Post by abbiesmum2003 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 pm
For our childcare we worked out cost for the year including the increase for holidays and then divided by 12. we actually over pay weekly to build up ‘credit’ ready for the holidays! I even plucked up the courage to tell childcare provider why I was doing so!
Allowances were very generous and we had more ‘money’ for things like haircuts that i didnt have before.
My girls have continued swimming lessons and ballet throughout our iva.
We do the park love to shop vouchers and pay monthly towards them which gives us a few hundred quid in November which we paid for out of other allowances as Foggy said.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:50 am
Anything you save from your agreed allowances i.e monthly haircuts or monthly dental treatment ,/ prescriptions etc etc can be used towards those little extras ... its do-able but you do need to be on top of your finances to manage it.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:25 am
I do a lot of online surveys which gives me vouchers for Christmas.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Loobylou17

Post by Loobylou17 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Thanks for all that- some great tips in there! Where do you find the surveys that you get vouchers from? I’ve never heard of this before!

What type of allowances will I need proof of?
I am living with my sister for the foreseeable until I can get back on my feet, I pay her 500 a month rent then give her around £250 towards bills- how would I document this other than my bank statement?

Thanks

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:13 pm
Valued opinions is one, Power of Opinions, You Gov. Just a few for now.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”