Anyone done this?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
15 posts Page 1 of 1

heavydebt

Post by heavydebt » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:50 pm
Has anyone changed job whilst in an IVA? I mean to one that pays considerably less?

I hate my job, I cry going there everyday as I hate it so much. It's the place and the bully people. Not that I am calling anyone that does, I could not go to the doctors and be signed off sick as it would be on my record and I don't like that. It's causing many an arguement at home.

What I want to know is, do you just do a new I&E after 12 months or would it be my own fault if I took lower pay? I am assumming you cannot pay less in once you have agreed the amount at the beginning?

Just wondering, I feel like I am trapped at the moment with no way out. I'm angry all the time because I need my job to pay the IVA but hate my job but all the time knowing I got myself into this mess.
The future's bright, the future's debt free. In 72 months to be exact!

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:52 pm
Hi
You can pay less if your income changes.
Don't put your life on hold and be unhappy, look for a new job and then talk to your IP about the affect that it may have on your payments.
You always have bankruptcy as a back up.
Regards
Andam Davies

heavydebt

Post by heavydebt » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:57 pm
Thanks Andy. Between the torment I feel for my job and the restrictions of our IVA, I hate living at the minute. There are people far worse off than me only sometimes you forget that don't you?!

Poor husband and little girl are the ones that have to put up with me!

lukeofyorkshire

Post by lukeofyorkshire » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:17 pm
I really feel for you heavydebt I do.

I was unemployed until 4 weeks before my IVA started and I took my Security job so I could earn more so it was more likely my IVA would be accepted.

But I hate the long hours (12 hour shifts, 5 days a week) so I'm constantly tired, Monday to Friday after work is a write off as I can't even find the energy or time to go anywhere but home lol.

Do look for other work and have a chat with your IP. You deserve to be happy and the IVA should not keep you in a job that is bad for you. xx
1st payment Oct 2008, last payment Dec 2013. Certificate received March 2015 due to PPI claim.

struggling63

Post by struggling63 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:26 pm
I too thought I hated my job, but now having finished my IVA, I realise it wasn't the job that I hated, but the situation I'd got myself into.

I look back at things,and incidents that would have seemed insurmountable previously, are now nothing more than minor niggles, and I can concentrate on my work because I'm not thinking about my financial situation all the time.

It's important to realise that debt has a horrible effect on your life, even when you've taken control of it through arranging an IVA, and my only advice is whilst the economic siutation is as it is,think carefully about giving up any employment that is reasonably secure.

You've made the most important move with your fiancnes already, now it's just a case of seeing it through.

Good luck whatever you decide.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:34 pm
As Andy says an IVA doesnt mean you have to stop your life for 5 years!! Married kids new jobs etc can all be achieved if thats what you want.Life is far too short to wait until the right time.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

heavydebt

Post by heavydebt » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:08 pm
Thanks for everyones advice. I have stayed in that job for four years longer than I should. I was fearful of leaving before as it was paying our debts every month but it has just got worse and worse there.
I have had a couple of job offers in the last few months but was petrified of taking them as they were less money. Not a lot but less.

I can't imagine staying in that place for the next 6 years because of my IVA. My boss is no support and what I am expected to do for the pay is too much and he knows that. I have people under me that hate to be managed and watch my every move picking faults in my work constantly. They are so bad my boss will not set foot in the office and hasn't done for over 12 months! There is no-one higher than him to speak to either! He keeps saying I should go, if only he knew why I was really staying!

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:30 pm
It sounds like you are in a horrible situation and need to get out if you have an alternative - especially if this is making you cry every day and affecting your homelife too.

Under the new IVA protocol your IP has the ability to alter IVa payments by up to 15% either way without having to go back to your creditors for approval. If the drop in disposable income is more than this then thay would need to seek a variation but if it meansm oney really is too tight and an IVa is no longer affordable, as Andy says, you have Bankruptcy as a back up if you need to, as long as it doesn't have detrimental affects on you.

Speak to your IP asap to discuss your options - they will be there to help you - that is why they are your supervisor throughout your IVA, for times like these.

Keep us posted as to what you do and remember we are all here to support you through it.

Regards,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:12 pm
Definitely speak with your IP as Tina suggests, please don't continue to be unhappy, there is nothing worse.

We're all here for support and advice.

All the best. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

heavydebt

Post by heavydebt » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Thanks everyone. I will call Mel's office soon. I know I can't be unhappy for the next six years but our IVA is really important to us. Like many others it took us a while to finally go through with it and face up to things!

Thanks again for the support x x

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:50 pm
If you're with Mel, I'm sure she'll be sympathetic to your needs and give you all the advice and guidance you need. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Struzzo39

Post by Struzzo39 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:35 pm
Hi heavy debt, Just wanted you to know that your not alone. I dont personally hate my job but the hours I work, Because of the mess we got ourselves into i went from part time term time only to full time and the rest. To help meet costs and i miss my family dearly, cryin on the away to work or physically being sick. Kust have to keep thinking hopefully 54 payments to go..... Keep your chin up xxxx Theres a light at the end of the tunnel xxx
Steven & Debbie

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:54 pm
You need to put yourself and your family first heavydebt, there is no point working somewhere that you hate otherwise it will get too much for you.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

heavydebt

Post by heavydebt » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:25 pm
Thanks Jan. Debbie that cannot be good for you either! I don't get sick I just have a really bad stomach and panic attacks. It's strange that a place can make you feel that bad. I tell myself most of the time that they are only people and cannot really do much to me but then my boss is no help when he tells me that he is going to give me more money and doesn't. I have stayed in my job so long mainly because he keeps promising me more money and it never comes. I have missed job opportunties hanging on for a non-existant payrise. That alone stresses me out.

Hard to believe because of my debts, but I don't consider myself a money orientated person.

danieln

Post by danieln » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:36 am
I think you need to start looking for something new now... If you continue as you are the next few years are going to go very slowly! Im sure if you take a pay cut something will work out with your IVA.

Good luck with your search!
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”