Ask Bongo - warning

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:55 am
Looking through the mobile phone bills the other day and noticed that my granddaughters bill was near £50 higher than it should be. Warning bells straight away as she is really good at keeping within her allowances. Inspected the bill, transaction by transaction and found 17 received texts at £2.50 a pop! Found out it is a company called "Ask Bongo" they send out a bunch of 'catch MMS messages' if you reply they then send a list a silly things a teenager would ask like the ask google or ask the amazon thing,,the return MMS then costs £2.5 each time. I researched it online and seems this company have fell foul of the premium rate governing body previously and had a heavy fine. Their web site clearly lays out this service is for 16+ year olds and if you sign up you have to tick a box stating you understand the costs and the bill payer is in agreement. However no such information or warning is in the catch MMS initially sent. I have sent a complaint to their customer support team and they acknowledge that there is indeed no warnings in the MMS so are going to refund the money via PayPal, So I am happy with that outcome.
Just wanted to put it out in the general forum that this could catch you out and cost a lot of money, some posters to the blog I found were out £200-300, and because their child was over 16 they got fobbed off, lucky my GD is only 14. I contacted my provider and they have now barred premium rate MMS/SMS on my GD number, this was not available on parental controls on the web pages, just premium rate phone calls. If you have kids and you are the bill payer then I would suggest you get you provider to bar premium rate MMs/SMS before it is too late.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:13 am
Not relevant to me but thanks for the heads up!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”