Bad advice

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
mark424
by mark424 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:19 pm
My Iva company ill advised me on what my options were and failed to tell me that i was better off in another way and was told they should have never put me in an iva therefore i have cancelled my iva and they have told me this could take 6 months to do is this right as I can't enter into my new agreement that I should have been in from start till they cancel and 6 months seems very long
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:35 pm
Which company was this? You should have had all options explained to you at the start.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:41 am
Six months is the standard "backstop" date quoted by all firms. However, it often takes a lot less: Some firms do it within weeks and most in 2 or 3 months. A few do take 6 months or more!
Out of curiosity, what option are you now going for ?
SteveUK
by SteveUK » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am
Curious to know.

Who told you that you shouldn't be in an IVA?

If it was the company that are offering a 'better solution' I would be a bit suspicious.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:32 am
By 'cancelling' your IVA I presume you are failing it?

Usually when the IP writes to you initially they confirm the reason why the IVA is the better solution and why alternative options have been rejected.

Check the original correspondence you had with them.

Our of interest what procedure are you going to try instead?
mark424
by mark424 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:54 am
Thank you all for reply the company was aperture and they have been useless from start to finish I wasn't failing the iva I just had a friend who done a dro and was informed of this so I checked with an advisor and it seems this was the best option for me from the start that I wasn't made aware of as I didn't even no they existed untill a friend told me
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:24 am
A DRO is very similar to Bankruptcy.

Did the criteria for a DRO fit your circumstances at the time you applied for an IVA?

See my quick video for the details:

https://youtu.be/BtgpEX5mNDg

Is there a reason you decided against Bankruptcy or was this option never explored?

You say you have cancelled your IVA in your original post - once the IVA is in place the only way to do that, without a variation or completion, is failure of it.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:26 am
A DRO is a relatively new solution and the criteria for getting one has very recently changed, maybe it wasn't on the cards at that time.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:45 am
Do you own your own house? If so a DRO is not for you and how much are your total debts?
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”