Bank account

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
24 posts Page 1 of 2
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:53 pm
I have just been turned down for a current account by co-op :cry: Anyone have any idea why? All my credit files are ok as you onow I just got a new car? I tried ringing them to discuss before i applied but they told me to do it online
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:10 pm
recovering wrote:
I have just been turned down for a current account by co-op :cry: Anyone have any idea why? All my credit files are ok as you onow I just got a new car? I tried ringing them to discuss before i applied but they told me to do it online

No idea why -- but, if the ran a search on you, although they are not obliged to say why, they do have to tell you which agency they used, so you know where to look (alternatively Noddle or Clearscore will show who searched either of them, in due course).

I had cashminders throughout my IVA and they were eager to upgrade as soon as my credit file cleared, as well as offering me an, unasked for, credit card. But that was done in branch ... and we even chatted about my IVA, so they were well aware.
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:29 pm
They used the usual Experian equifax and call credit all of which are clear
The very kind Mike at Zebra checked them for me before i applied for my car. I tried to talk to them on the phone as there is no branch near me amymore and got told to just apply online . It says to write to them to appeal
I will try and ring again tomorrow but can’t see how anything has changed on my report in 2 weeks since I got car finance?
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:39 pm
Experian says no changes, noddle has gone up to 5/5 Equifax excellent
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 pm
I have found, over the years, that the computer often says "No" and human intervention then brings a "Yes" ! Maybe an appeal would bring about that intervention.
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 pm
I will try!!! Just a knock back after a bit of positivity getting the car! I knew there would be a balancing out :D first the cheque now the rejection
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:32 pm
Good luck recovering, talking to a human may just be the way forward rather than letting some computer algorithm make a grown up decision.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:25 am
I hope you get it sorted.
ginger3242
by ginger3242 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:43 am
Did you use them when you were in an IVA ? - if so it may be they have a record of this.

Depends what you are looing for in a bank account - Nationwide is a good option.

If you looking for "green creditials" in your bank - Nationwide tops the Co-op bank (Ethical Consumers) - as the co-op was sold to a hedge fund management

The good thing about the Nationwide - is you do it on line - you usually get instant decisions - even if you start with a basic account you can usually upgrade within a few months
recovering
by recovering » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 am
Yes i still have an cashminder with them which is why i wanted to speak to someone first but yesterday i got told to just apply online
recovering
by recovering » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:25 am
Just got told they cannot discuss the reason when I rang
I did a live chat and he says there is something on my credit file
There Is not!!!
He suggested waiting for a letter
I may just move banks
It is very upsetting
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:30 am
I would try Nationwide - they are usually pretty good.
recovering
by recovering » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:39 am
kallis3 wrote:
I would try Nationwide - they are usually pretty good.

It really upset me! I don’t know why I let it! Does applying look bad on the credit score?
ginger3242
by ginger3242 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:54 am
As i mentioned before - as they know about your IVa - they are likely to hold information about you.
You are better off going elsewhere

PS. As you would have likely to have guessed i am NOT a fan of the Co-op Bank :D

Have a look at Nationwide
ginger3242
by ginger3242 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:55 am
Banks etc - dont see the credit scores - so there are actually meaningless - what they see is applications for credit etc
24 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”