Basic bank account

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Debtbuster
by Debtbuster » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:23 am
Do they do a credit search for a basic bank account. Am thinking of trying Nationwide as there isn’t a co op branch anywhynear me but Nationwide were included in my previous joint IVA that we did in 2009 (was all completed with F&F settlement in 2012) and came off credit file 3 years ago.

How do I make sure they just do the basic account and don’t start doing something more. Also if I go bankrupt or do a DRO would a Nationwide basic bank account still be allowed?

Finally are there any forums like this one for bankruptcy and DRO’s? We are still trying to weigh up which option or route to go down
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:57 am
I think they will, even for a basic account. I would go in branch and be upfront and clear, talk it through with an advisor before they do any paperwork, otherwise they might try to upsell and you will be refused anything above basic.
Debtbuster
by Debtbuster » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:27 am
So if I clearly say I just want a basic account, please don’t try and give me anything more because I don’t want it due to financial difficulties I had in the past they should honour that? Do they do a credit search for a basic bank account though?
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:21 am
You could try Barclays - most banks these days will let you do a soft search so it won't impact on your credit record.
Debtbuster
by Debtbuster » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:53 am
I am more worried about them giving me more than a basic bank account when I don’t want it
ginger3242
by ginger3242 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:01 pm
Nationwide will likely do a search - even if its is only to confirm your identy.
Nationwide will have their critera for account on line - so worth checking - you can apply for the account on line, and you will often get a response straight away
ginger3242
by ginger3242 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:02 pm
they wont upgrade an account unless you want to
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:08 pm
Of course you don't have to use everything with a full account if you don't want to.
recovering
by recovering » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:57 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Of course you don't have to use everything with a full account if you don't want to.

i recall talking to Co-op pre IVA about setting up a basic account. The person on the phone kept saying to me you can have a current account you know. I was insistent on the basic! Ironic that with all that debt I could have a current account but now with none they refused me!!!!
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:05 am
So after checking my CLEARED credit files I have found one of the accounts in my IVA is now showing as partially settled? I know it was not like that last month as I got the car finance. Could this be why I was declined for a current account? Does this mean I have to keep checking my files every month?? I have asked experian to change it but it is so frustrating I have spent months getting every cleared.
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:06 am
Sorry! Posted this on the wrong thread :oops:
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:15 am
Old accounts and, sometimes, defaults do pop back up every now and then in error, so we do advise keeping an eye out for such things. But, hopefully, it shouldn't be commonplace.
recovering
by recovering » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:22 am
Foggy wrote:
Old accounts and, sometimes, defaults do pop back up every now and then in error, so we do advise keeping an eye out for such things. But, hopefully, it shouldn't be commonplace.

I sent a pretty snotty letter to Co-op too :?:
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”