Becoming a registered child minded in IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

Annette.wn

Post by Annette.wn » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:09 am
i have an IVA i am wanting to become a regsitered childminder in wales and i downloaded the care standards and it says that a person is not suitable to act as a childminder if?: the person has made a composition or arrangement with the person's creditors and has not been discharged in respect of it
does this mean that because of my IVA i would not be a suitable person and not be able to register?

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:24 am
It does sound like you would be unable to register. Can you tell me what you googled to get the care standards and I can have a good look at them.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Annette.wn

Post by Annette.wn » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:13 am
https://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/wal ... 812e.htm#4

hi.. thank u for answering, this is the link to the care standards.. if u look under the heading...suitable persons... the sentence is there.

i did continue to look round this forum last night and i have a feeling that it is to do with the public liability...apparently it is almost impossible to get public liability when u have an iva.

im now stuck between a rock and a hard place because i have just had a baby and i was going to childmind so that i could earn money and not have to have my baby looked after by someone else. now i will have to go back to work and earn twice the money in order to pay for his child care....so i will have to work twice the hours.
i would appreciate you having a look for me.. but i kind of think that its still not going to be the answer i am looking for!
many thanks... annette

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:43 am
Just had a look and while it is there in black and white it may be worth contacting the regulatory body to ask if there is any chance that registeration can still take place even if you are in an IVA. You may well struggle to find the insurance as you have pointed out.

Sorry its not the answer you would like. Seems pretty unreasonable to me and a bit harsh on someone who has taken steps to sort out their debts.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:41 am
I agree with plasticdaft, contact them and see what they say. It may be worth trying to see if you can get your own insurance - if you can it will take away the problem.

Good luck xx

Mattybaldy

Post by Mattybaldy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:19 pm
Annette,

If the problem is with public liability insurance try a company called Towergate insurance or Woodstock insurance.

I work as a self-employed carpet and upholstery cleaner and couldn't get public liability anywhere until I found Towergate.

To be honest I really can't see what having an IVA has to do with being a childminder.
Last edited by Mattybaldy on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:23 pm
I think the problem is the public liability insurance is covered by the fees a registered childminder pays. So it's their terms that exclude anyone in a credit agreement.

Good to know about Towergate and maybe if Annette can provide her own insurance there may be a way around this.

I totally agree, being in an IVA should not have an impact on childminding or other jobs for that matter.

Mattybaldy

Post by Mattybaldy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:30 pm
Oh I see, I didn't realise the public liability was covered by the childminder fees.

I can see why that would present a problem, but as you say, providing your own insurance could possibly be an answer to that. It's certainly worth asking the question of the relevant authority.

I am quite bewildered by the whole IVA/liability insurance/jobs issue.

flowerpot

Post by flowerpot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:14 pm
Hi there,

I would perhaps ask the NCMA, national childminding association first without giving details.

They are usually all up to date with the regulations.

I think they also offer public liability insurance too, they used to.

I hope it all works out for you, I childminded when my two were younger and it is a fantastic opportunity to earn a really decent income while staying at home with your little one.

flowerpot
xx
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”