Bonuses problem

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
mark955
by mark955 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 pm
I have just 6 months of an IVA left. Never missed a payment and always declared any permanent pay rises. However I have just read the whole paperwork(stupid me) and it says I should have declared nay bonuses I get. I don't get fixed bonuses and with me being unaware of this important detail I used them for car repairs home improvements etc. What I worried about is when I finish in 6 months that this will show that I could have paid an additionally £2100 in the last year. Which I obviously haven't got. What is my best option I can no way pay the back over the next 6 months with no likely windfall in sight between now and then.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:37 pm
Have you been getting these bonus payments over the last year only ? If not the other years might come to light at the completion review -- so be prepared ! If just the £2100 over the last year only --- were the bonuses £2100, or is that the share due to the IVA ? Hopefully the IP can deal with this by way of extension -- a pain, I know, but better than failing the arrangement.
mark955
by mark955 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 pm
Foggy wrote:
Have you been getting these bonus payments over the last year only ? If not the other years might come to light at the completion review -- so be prepared ! If just the £2100 over the last year only --- were the bonuses £2100, or is that the share due to the IVA ? Hopefully the IP can deal with this by way of extension -- a pain, I know, but better than failing the arrangement.

Yes I have only got them since October last year and that’s the pre tax bonus total. I am on a six year Iva due to end July. I never got them before that point. I had my annual review July last year but my p60 wouldn’t have shown these but this years will. I am so used to declaring incoming and expenditure every year I totally forgot about extra income as I haven’t had it before.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:49 pm
mark955 wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Yes I have only got them since October last year and that’s the pre tax bonus total. I am on a six year Iva due to end July. I never got them before that point. I had my annual review July last year but my p60 wouldn’t have shown these but this years will. I am so used to declaring incoming and expenditure every year I totally forgot about extra income as I haven’t had it before.

Well that reduces the problem somewhat. Assuming you have the normal 10% 50/50 clause for extra income: Take the nett figure ( how much actually hits your bank). From that take off an amount equal to 10% of your agreed base income (usual basic pay as agreed with your IP). Then split what is left 50 / 50 (half you keep, half due to the IVA). That will give you a figure far less than £2100 to have to pay over. Your clause might just be a straight 50/50 .... it will be in the proposal which you have.

You have to do this sum for each month you get bonus payments -- don't add it all together.
mark955
by mark955 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 pm
Foggy wrote:
mark955 wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Well that reduces the problem somewhat. Assuming you have the normal 10% 50/50 clause for extra income: Take the nett figure ( how much actually hits your bank). From that take off an amount equal to 10% of your agreed base income (usual basic pay as agreed with your IP). Then split what is left 50 / 50 (half you keep, half due to the IVA). That will give you a figure far less than £2100 to have to pay over. Your clause might just be a straight 50/50 .... it will be in the proposal which you have.

You have to do this sum for each month you get bonus payments -- don't add it all together.

Phewww. Checked my propsoal it states “where I receive anhoc additional income I can retain 10% and introduce 50% of the balance to the Iva” so it is 10% retain and then 50/50 so nett. So hit my bank is £1575 minus 10% = £1417.50. So then the 50/50 rule comes in. So I’m looking at a bill of around £700? Give or take.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:11 pm
Not quite -- you don't keep 10% of the bonus amount -- it is 10% of your normal monthly take home pay
mark955
by mark955 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 pm
Foggy wrote:
Not quite -- you don't keep 10% of the bonus amount -- it is 10% of your normal monthly take home pay

Wow they like to make it complicate but 10% of my monthly take home is more than 10% of the bonus so that’s even better. Thank you so much for your advice. Call to the IP tomorrow hopefully they will let me pay what I owe over the last 6 months of the Iva and it can be completed without issue. Thank goodness it’s been 6 long years with light at the end of the tunnel.
cbdawg
by cbdawg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:38 pm
Silly question alert.

Hypothetical.

Over the years if you received an ad hoc bonus of say £100 and this wasn't in the 6 months pay the asked to see, therefore they haven't seen the evidence, how would they find out?

At the end of the IVA what is usually supplied to them? I want to be prepared because I know I've lost a few pay slips here and there.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:43 pm
cbdawg wrote:
Silly question alert.

Hypothetical.

Over the years if you received an ad hoc bonus of say £100 and this wasn't in the 6 months pay the asked to see, therefore they haven't seen the evidence, how would they find out?

At the end of the IVA what is usually supplied to them? I want to be prepared because I know I've lost a few pay slips here and there.

Bonuses are taxable and should appear in your P60's -- It varies from firm to firm, but these are often asked for.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”