Budget related question

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Mrs_Brown
by Mrs_Brown » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:08 pm
This is loosely IVA related, but also not. Hoped someone in here might have an idea as not finding much on Google.

This is more an a monthly annoyance at present. I made a payment using Google pay, which is linked to my bankcard in April which showed as successful, but due to the tight reign I have on my budget, monitoring every transaction and crossing them off my budget sheet as they go out, so I know for sure it never came out.

What is the maximum time that I need to allow for this to come out of my bank? I am just setting up my budget sheet for September and it's one of those niggling thoughts to constantly allow for it.

My fancy budget sheet is a piece of A4 paper folded in half and stuck to the fridge door, in case anyone wondered! Before the IVA I used an excel sheet, as I had so many payments to monitor, now it's the simplicity of paper.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:43 pm
I assume that you received what you had paid for and had no demands for further payment. The problem with things like GooglePay and even debit card transactions is that they cannot be processed at the bank until the retailer passes the request to the bank and not all retailers are actually connected in real time. I know, in the past, there have been issues with some retailers holding on to transactions for months and then presenting them in bulk.

I believe cheques used to have a 6 month "life", maybe the same applied to card / cyber transactions. I would be inclined to ask the bank when they are likely to stop honouring the transaction.
Mrs_Brown
by Mrs_Brown » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:48 pm
Foggy wrote:
I assume that you received what you had paid for and had no demands for further payment. The problem with things like GooglePay and even debit card transactions is that they cannot be processed at the bank until the retailer passes the request to the bank and not all retailers are actually connected in real time. I know, in the past, there have been issues with some retailers holding on to transactions for months and then presenting them in bulk.

I believe cheques used to have a 6 month "life", maybe the same applied to card / cyber transactions. I would be inclined to ask the bank when they are likely to stop honouring the transaction.

Thanks Foggy, I have seen unclear, mixed answers, 6months was suggested there too. The goods, yes I ate them (it was a one off trip to the canteen at work, the one day I forgot to take my lunch with me!) I have tried to get onto Co-op before posting here, there were long delays so I guess for September I will just keep note of the transaction again, until I can face the call (have a splitting headache now!)
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:56 pm
The problem with Google Pay is that the recipient has to claim on those funds, there doesn't seem to be any time frame that I can find that would then deem the transaction 'gone'. If it is only a small amount then you may just be able to absorb it on a monthly basis, if a big sum then safe bet would be to keep the funds available in your account. Can you not pose this question directly to your Bank, I'm sure they would have a better idea than us taking an educated stab in the dark to help you.
Mrs_Brown
by Mrs_Brown » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:02 am
MerlinL14 wrote:
The problem with Google Pay is that the recipient has to claim on those funds, there doesn't seem to be any time frame that I can find that would then deem the transaction 'gone'. If it is only a small amount then you may just be able to absorb it on a monthly basis, if a big sum then safe bet would be to keep the funds available in your account. Can you not pose this question directly to your Bank, I'm sure they would have a better idea than us taking an educated stab in the dark to help you.

Thanks Merlin, going to get on it again today. My head was so bad last night I gave up trying with the bank and was in bed by 8pm. It is a small amount, just one of those niggles I have had. Amazing to have a niggle over £3 really when I used to be constantly thinking about enormous figures and how to balance the books.
Mrs_Brown
by Mrs_Brown » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:49 pm
Been onto both Google pay and my bank and neither of them have any record of it! Maybe there is such a thing as a free lunch after all, but will keep the money there just in case for a while longer. I recall asking in there a week later, in case there had been IT issues on the day, often the telephone lines for the cash machine in there are out of order, and the guy got all huffy and said he wouldn't have let me go without it being successful.
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:28 pm
Bonus, bet you didn't budget for a free lunch!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”