buying a house after iva

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
dennis
by dennis » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:37 pm
how long after release from iva can i look to purchase a house? can i apply for a mortgage without my completion certificate? even though i have been told my iva is complete ?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:59 pm
You could get a mortgage before your completion certificate, but lenders will be few and far between and rates will be eye watering. After the completion certificate has been issued, it will be easier, but still fraught with difficulties. Once you are off the Insolvency Register (three months after the certificate has been issued) it will get even easier. Once you have a clear credit file with each of the three agencies you are on the home run and High street lenders will be willing to look at you. After al this and at any stage in between, you would be advised to use a whole of market broker with experience in adverse credit -- failed attempts will set you back, so try not to make them.
dennis
by dennis » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:47 pm
Foggy wrote:
You could get a mortgage before your completion certificate, but lenders will be few and far between and rates will be eye watering. After the completion certificate has been issued, it will be easier, but still fraught with difficulties. Once you are off the Insolvency Register (three months after the certificate has been issued) it will get even easier. Once you have a clear credit file with each of the three agencies you are on the home run and High street lenders will be willing to look at you. After al this and at any stage in between, you would be advised to use a whole of market broker with experience in adverse credit -- failed attempts will set you back, so try not to make them.

so basically if it takes my IP upto 6 months to issue completion cert 3 months for it to come off the insolvency register won't be in reality be able to get mortgage for almost a year after completion so much for 5 year debt and be debt free it's taken me 5 year plus the extra year as not able to get equity release which take it 6 and now possibly another year to get removed from insolovency register
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:15 pm
Without wishing to be pedantic ... "Debt free after 5 years" is true in many cases (unless you are a home owner) ... credit worthy in 5 years is what you are alluding to .. which is a different kettle of fish.
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:17 pm
Have a chat with Ryan or Shaun our forum mortgage experts ... they will guide you through and supoirt you at the right time
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:38 am
Hi Dennis,

For us to look to use a High Street Lender you would need to be off the Insolvency Register. The Insolvency Service normally advise that it takes 3 months from issue of Completion Certificate for you to be removed so having the Completion Certificate issued asap would obviously be of benefit to you.

All the best.

Regards
Shaun Vickery
Industry Expert
Contact
by Shaun Vickery » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:48 am
It really depends on your other circumstances (your income, the amount of deposit you have available etc.) but it would be a good idea to get the preparatory work done now. Have you obtained a copy of your credit file?
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”