Buying an expensive gift before the official end of IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
robert981
by robert981 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:48 am
After 6 years my IVA is coming to an end, the last payment was at the start of the month, but the official end date the 18th. I have wanted to buy my Fiancee something nice for Christmas since I met her and sadly I can only afford this by paying over 2 years (75-80% of my IVA was due to my ex-wife) if I wait till the 19th December to but this item, I wont get it in time to give to her for Christmas. If I order it before the 18th, will I be in trouble?
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:56 am
If you are thinking of credit, I doubt you will get any. Your IVA is not complete until you get that all important piece of paper and it will remain on your record until then.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:58 am
Hi. Lovely thought, but not practical at the moment. The IVA does not disappear overnight and credit rating improve immediately. Your wait will be shorter than most, having already covered the 6 year span, but you still have to wait for the issue of the completion certificate and then the Insolvency Service to take you off the register and then for the credit agencies to catch up.

You say that most of your debt was due to your ex wife .... you have a clean start with the new partner ... wait a while and save those old IVA payments to buy her a gift. You don't want all of your new debt to be due to the new partner ! A couple of months payments will go towards a nice valentine's gift (all paid for) :-)
Radish
by Radish » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:43 pm
A personalised card from Moonpig with your own heart - felt words would go a long way too for your first Christmas together, and not very expensive but the right words are priceless.. But as Foggy suggested, leave some idea's for Valentines day haha, and whisk her away somewhere nice on the anniversary of the day you met? Edinburgh Castle is very romantic place.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”