Can a debt be added to my IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Elmeatbolio
by Elmeatbolio » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:00 pm
My ex wife and I took out an iva 5 years ago. Last payment is sept 2018. We separated and agreed with iva company a split 50/50 with iva company. She has told me today that we have a debt for 11k for tax credits which has been added to the iva that I am jointly liable for. Logging in to our account I can see it is on there. Thing is I have never spoken to anyone, I received any correspondence or heard of this debt until today regardless of having spoken to the iva company in the last two months. Can they add debt without my consent/knowledge even if I am jointly liable?
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:42 am
Are the tax credits in both names or just her name ? I would have thought if in both names you would / should have been consulted - Bearing in mind you have interlocking iva's not joint iva's if just in her name I think you should be able to challenge.
If in joint names then despite the lack of communication it will mean you are responsible for them.
Either way a call to your supervisor should resolve the many "if's" above for you.
Let us know how you get on
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:50 am
If it has been added to the IVA as she says (just to hers or to both??) there should be no problem. If it has been added to hers and not yours, I would ask the IP why (although he / she will be unable to comment on her IVA, now that they are being dealt with apart from each other).
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”