Can a debt be added to my IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Elmeatbolio

Post by Elmeatbolio » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:00 pm
My ex wife and I took out an iva 5 years ago. Last payment is sept 2018. We separated and agreed with iva company a split 50/50 with iva company. She has told me today that we have a debt for 11k for tax credits which has been added to the iva that I am jointly liable for. Logging in to our account I can see it is on there. Thing is I have never spoken to anyone, I received any correspondence or heard of this debt until today regardless of having spoken to the iva company in the last two months. Can they add debt without my consent/knowledge even if I am jointly liable?

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:42 am
Are the tax credits in both names or just her name ? I would have thought if in both names you would / should have been consulted - Bearing in mind you have interlocking iva's not joint iva's if just in her name I think you should be able to challenge.
If in joint names then despite the lack of communication it will mean you are responsible for them.
Either way a call to your supervisor should resolve the many "if's" above for you.
Let us know how you get on
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:50 am
If it has been added to the IVA as she says (just to hers or to both??) there should be no problem. If it has been added to hers and not yours, I would ask the IP why (although he / she will be unable to comment on her IVA, now that they are being dealt with apart from each other).
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”