Can creditors remove defaults once an IVA has completed?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Trojan77 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:45 pm
I started an IVA in 2012. I understand the final 'markers' are cleared from your credit file after 6 years.
Can someone clarify the position of default markers on credit card records. I seem to be reading that once the IVA has been completed and certificate of completion has been issued, the creditors should / or can be asked, to change the default status to satisfied. Given that the account has been settled and closed.
Barclaycard are refusing point blank and say they have no influence over default markers...
Forum Expert
by kallis3 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 pm
All defaults should go back to the start of your IVA. When is your six years up?
Forum Expert
by Foggy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:24 pm
The creditors are solely responsible for marking the status of the defaults they have registered and can, and do, change the status to completed / settled or partially completed / settled after tna IVA is finished. However, it makes little difference as, however it is marked, it will still disappear on it's 6th anniversary.

Have a read here: ... dit-record
Industry Expert
by Ryan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm
As both Kallis and Foggy have said a default will show on the reports for 6 years from the start date (which should be the same as the IVA start date) and as far as Lenders are concerned it doesn't make much difference if it's marked as settled or not they will pretty much all treat it the same way.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”