Can I sell my house before I have received my IVA completion certificate?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

john339

User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:54 pm

Post by john339 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:54 pm
Hi, I had my iva agreed by creditors to end September this year and want to sell my property. Am I safe to start the process by just putting the house for sale and not accept any offers on the house till the completion certificate arrives? Every time I call my IVA company they tell me different things, for example I'm on the priority list and my certificate would be with me within two weeks, then chasing it up another 4/6 weeks, then chasing it up again it will take months as they have a back log. All my creditors have closed my accounts and balances zero all red flags removed, it's so so frustrating. thank you in advance

kallis3

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 75205
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by kallis3 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:01 pm
Nothing to stop you putting it on the market but a sale would not go through until you are off the Insolvency Register and your credit record is clear.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

luluj

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 10645
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:54 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by luluj » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:38 pm
There is likely to be a restriction on your property and to sell you will require the permission of your IP, even though you are waiting on your certificate.

This time of year goes quiet on the property front .. is it not better to wait it out for certificate and restriction be lifted, then you wouldn't be faced with any potential issues.

Come the new year and spring time the housing market always picks up.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 29873
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Foggy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:43 pm
There should be no issue until a prospective purchaser's conveyancer conducts a search against the title at Land Registry. Even when the completion certificate is issued you need to make sure that the IP submits an RX4 to remove the restriction ( this is sometimes overlooked) to avoid any embarrassing questions.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”