Can I sell my house whilst waiting for completion certificate?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Mark.56

User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Post by Mark.56 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:36 pm
F&F offer accepted and paid in September 18. Aperture advised thst Completion Cert can take up to 6 months. In the meantime, can I put my house on the market, even though any sale will nog likely to complete until after March? Or must I wait until Completion Cert artives?

luluj

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 10512
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:54 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by luluj » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:15 am
You will need their permission to do so and any restrictions placed on the house during the iva will need to be lifted so as not to impact the sale going through.

Until this is done and the iva removed from credit file you may find, if a new mortgage is required, it will be difficult to do so.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 28964
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 am
It is possible, but not advisable. IF the sale completed before the certificate was issued the proceeds could be drawn into the IVA. Also, as Luluj mentions the restiction on the title would also frighten off any prospective purchasers.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

MerlinL14

User avatar
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:44 pm
Location:

Post by MerlinL14 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:26 am
I agree with Foggy, although it is possible it would be ill advised to do so until you have been released from the IVA with your completion certificate.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

kallis3

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 74619
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:10 am
Keep pestering until you get that letter - remember you will be on the Insolvency Register for up to 3 months after that date.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Lisa Thomas

User avatar
Industry Expert
Posts: 7397
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:26 am

Post by Lisa Thomas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:12 am
Not unless the Supervisor confirms the IVA trust has no interest in it and removes the caution, which is unlikely unless and until they have done their final reviews and confirmed the IVA can be closed and completion certificate issued.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Mark.56

User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Post by Mark.56 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:50 pm
Thanks for all your replies.

Aperture have said that I am due a refund of one months payment which might take 3-4 weeks to process or if I don't accept the money, they can send me a closure certificate in by end of Jan.

Seems a bit odd to me.. Any thoughts on how I should go back to them?

Foggy

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 28964
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Foggy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 am
What they are saying is that they will not close the case until everything, including the refund, has been tied up. If you forego the refund they can "close early". There is an element of snake oil logic about it , but they are just being lazy. If, as they do, they can deal with PPI payments that come in post completion, I am sure they can accomodate a refund!
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

Mark.56

User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Post by Mark.56 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:54 pm
Thanks Foggy - should I make a complaint? When I first read their email it seemed like 'blackmail'!!!

Foggy

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 28964
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Foggy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:46 pm
I am in two minds about a complaint -- they do deserve one, but it could be counter-productive at this stage. They could delay the completion process until the complaint is dealt with !
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”