Can I start an IVA with another company?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
denise515
by denise515 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:28 pm
I have been on a iva with payplan since Sept 2017. I am really fed up with them as they just ignore all correspondence. I have been asking for a payment break for 4 weeks now because of council tax arrears etc. Plus a creditor has come after my husband for over £6,000 because it is in joint names, so i have asked them to take this creditor out of the iva as i am paying them in the iva and £60 a month out of iva. I could not make my payment to them yesterday as i had no money left but they were quick to respond to that one sending me a default a1 letter. What will happen if i dont pay to them and start another iva with someone else.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:40 pm
denise515 wrote:
I have been on a iva with payplan since Sept 2017. I am really fed up with them as they just ignore all correspondence. I have been asking for a payment break for 4 weeks now because of council tax arrears etc. Plus a creditor has come after my husband for over £6,000 because it is in joint names, so i have asked them to take this creditor out of the iva as i am paying them in the iva and £60 a month out of iva. I could not make my payment to them yesterday as i had no money left but they were quick to respond to that one sending me a default a1 letter. What will happen if i dont pay to them and start another iva with someone else.

For you to be incurring arrears would indicate that your budget is wrong, or that your spending hasn't adjusted to the IVA, either or both need looking at. You cannot remove a joint creditor from your IVA and the creditor is fully entitled to pursue your husband for full payment (less whatever they get from your IVA). If you allow the IVA to fail there is no guarantee that a new one will be accepted by creditors and the same situation regarding the joint loan will arise.
madmaisy2017
by madmaisy2017 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:50 pm
I have £23,000 of debt and 21 creditors the most i owe for each creditor is £3,600 if it fails will my house be safe as it is jointly owned with no mortgage. Plus can i contact each creditor and offer a monthly payment instead of having an iva or dmp. I am just not getting any support or help with payplan. :(
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:01 pm
madmaisy2017 wrote:
I have £23,000 of debt and 21 creditors the most i owe for each creditor is £3,600 if it fails will my house be safe as it is jointly owned with no mortgage. Plus can i contact each creditor and offer a monthly payment instead of having an iva or dmp. I am just not getting any support or help with payplan. :(

You can try a DIY DMP, but the creditors do not have to accept and they could, if so minded, go for the house or put a charge on it. Maybe have a word with Stepchange, who like Payplan, will do a DMP for free (but, unlike Payplan, aren't imploding).
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”