Can I sue Harrington Brooks for failing to advise properly before I took IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
josh
by josh » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:21 pm
I think I was wrongly advised back in 2012 by Harrington Brooks to take on IVA as a way to alleviate my debt then. I completed the monthly payment for five years October 2017. However, I am just learning that I will still continue to suffer credit issues for another 5 five years before I am likely to be considered for any any lona whatsoever. I am also starting to see some people calling IVA light bankruptcy. I have always been in work since I took the IVA and I am sure details of the effect and for how long was not made very clear to me. My question is can I sue Harrington Brooks for failing to advise properly before I took the IVA?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:52 pm
You have been wrongly advised -- but by whoever is talking to you now! Your credit files will clear up on or round the 6th anniversary of the start of the IVA. Have a read here:

https://www.iva.co.uk/what-does-an-iva- ... dit-record

"Bankruptcy Light" is a complete misnomer by the uninitiated.

And I am sure any court would look at a claim that you would be under the impression that any debt solution (especially one where you are absolved from repaying those debts in full) would not adversely affect your credit-worthiness with a large pinch of salt.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:23 am
Your credit records are damaged for 6 years from start o your IVA, not 10!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”