Can I take ex landlord to court for not putting deposit in deposit scheme?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
jules602
by jules602 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:14 pm
I have an iva, can I take ex landlord to court for not putting deposit in deposit scheme and request compensation?
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm
Hi,

Excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what you mean?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:29 pm
You could sue the ex landlord outside of your IVA but I imagine any compensation would need to be paid into the IVA.
jules602
by jules602 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:35 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Hi,

By law i can take my landlord to court and receive 1 to 3 times the deposit amount if the landlord fails to put the deposit in a recognised depos it scheme.

Can I do this if I have an IVA?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:10 pm
jules602 wrote:
kallis3 wrote:
Hi,

By law i can take my landlord to court and receive 1 to 3 times the deposit amount if the landlord fails to put the deposit in a recognised depos it scheme.

Can I do this if I have an IVA?

Yes, but, as I said, it is likely to be payable into your IVA.
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:57 pm
As has been said you will most likely lose the deposit compensation to your IVA. But as it is your Ex landlord and maybe you have an axe to grind then go for it and teach them a lesson in responsibility and duty of care.
jules602
by jules602 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:16 pm
MerlinL14 wrote:
As has been said you will most likely lose the deposit compensation to your IVA. But as it is your Ex landlord and maybe you have an axe to grind then go for it and teach them a lesson in responsibility and duty of care.

I posted my question as I wanted a serious answer. Instead you appear to be malicious and vindictive though know nothing of the circumstances.

Someone had told me if you are in an IVA you cannot bring a law suit...that's all I was wanted to know.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:19 pm
jules602 wrote:
MerlinL14 wrote:

I posted my question as I wanted a serious answer. Instead you appear to be malicious and vindictive though know nothing of the circumstances.

Someone had told me if you are in an IVA you cannot bring a law suit...that's all I was wanted to know.

I saw nothing malicious or vindictive in Merlin's reply. But, to plainly answer the question ...... Yes, you can bring a law suit.
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:50 pm
jules602 wrote:
MerlinL14 wrote:

Words fail me! So I will say nothing...
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”