Can I upgrade my phone?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

gordon694

User avatar
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Post by gordon694 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:37 pm
I’m at the end of my 5th year if my IVA and my current mobile is 4 years old and I’ve been given a great deal on a new mobile but would be £20 more per month than stated in my income and expenditure with my Iva. If I upgrade my phone should I tell my Iva practitioner? Is there a maximum amount I’m allowed etc. I use my phone for work a lot and keeping in touch with my daughter when she is out so need a phone that works properly but don’t want to risk my Iva

kallis3

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 75699
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 pm
If you can afford it out of your allowances and your provider is happy then I don't see why not. However, could you hang on until the end of your IVA and then go for a new one?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 30851
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Foggy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:14 pm
I doubt the IP will agree to increase the agreed allowance, so you would, as Kallis suggests, have to fund any increase from existing allowances. Of course, you will also have to be accepted for the new contarct by the telecoms provider.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

gordon694

User avatar
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Post by gordon694 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:08 pm
Thanks for the replies so far. I think I will probably need to go into the 6th year as I won’t be able to release equity if it was only a few months I’d wait. I won’t be moving provider so it will be easy to upgrade. Should I inform the provider first ? If I say I’m reducing £20 on one and increasing the phone part will that be enough?

kallis3

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 75699
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:18 pm
Personally I'd leave it. I am sure you can get a better deal at the end of your IVA.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

luluj

User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 10850
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:54 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by luluj » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:02 am
If you can juggle your allowances to accomodate the extra £20 per month then no need to inform IP, go for it !

If you need to seek support for the additional £20 then that suggests it is not affordable right now.

I understand where you are coming from requiring a reliable phone and I certainly upgraded mine during my iva on more than one occasion with no impact, using my allowances to bridge the gap.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Jessie91

Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:47 pm

Post by Jessie91 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:17 am
I just upgraded my phone and did it over the phone with EE I thought mine was more expensive but turned out a few pennies less which worked out better.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”