Can the debt I am owed be included in my friends IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1


User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:50 am

Post by jane520 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:50 am
My friend owes me £4,500. Nothing in writing. The agreement was that she pays me back on the sale of her property which is now being sold. She is refusing to pay me back and is going to take out an IVA for other debts she has. a) can my debt be included in the IVA and b) if not how can I get my money back. This was an agreement made 5 years ago.


User avatar
Posts: 1620
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:44 pm

Post by MerlinL14 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:04 pm
Yes it can, you need to find out who her IP is and make a claim on the IVA. If she refuses to tell you who her IP id you will have to wait until she is in it and then look through the Inconstancy register to get this information. I would write her a formal letter, now, stating your claim to the funds she owes you. Ask for immediate payment and outline the total amount of debt owed and any other information you can. Send it recorded and signature required, keep a hard copy that you can then subsequently give to her IP with the proof of sending it to her. If she does enter an IVA then you will only be entitled to the agreed dividend and will not see the full amount.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues


User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 28733
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Foggy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:40 pm
There is, of course, the hurdle of proving your claim and her acknowledging it -- have you anything at all in writing (emails / texts discussimng it) ? There is also the possibility of the "professional" creditors declaring you an associate creditor and barring you from taking a dividend.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014


User avatar
Forum Expert
Posts: 10480
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:54 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by luluj » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:47 pm
The insolvency registrar will inform you of her chosen iva company and IP ... as foggy says proving it maybe difficult if nothing in writing exists.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Lisa Thomas

User avatar
Industry Expert
Posts: 7393
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:26 am

Post by Lisa Thomas » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:47 am
Yes you should claim in the IVA.

Do you have bank statements to show the payment?
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: ... Z5k9ZcC2MA 01752 786800
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”