can they really refuse to offer a basic account?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

alison.sn

Post by alison.sn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:46 pm
Apologies, but I have a follow up question to my initial one about trying to get a basic bank account. Many thanks for your replies, however, on getting the leaflets/application forms for Natwest Step Account and Nationwide Cashcard account they both state that if you currently are in an IVA do not apply!?. A few members have suggested the Co-op cashminder account but the nearest branch is over 30 miles away and since getting into such a debt mess I am a gibbering wreck when I use the phone!!. I realise that they don't particularly want people like me to open an account but can they really refuse to offer a basic account?

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:49 pm
It is at the discretion of the banks unfortunately.

Don't worry about speaking to the Co-op on the phone, all of the call centre workers have been lovely.

Have you tried Abbey, Lloyds or Barclays?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:50 pm
Doesn't matter that you don't have a Co-op branch near to you, you can pay into a post office.

You can only apply for it online or in branch though.

They can refuse you.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:52 pm
I think that's a typo Jan - you can only apply for the Cashminder in a branch or on the phone!

I had a Cashminder account and Jan is right, you can use the Post Office so you don't actually need a local branch.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:55 pm
Sorry, how stupid am I?

Skippy is correct - in branch or on the phone.

Duh!!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Hammie1

Post by Hammie1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:20 pm
Hi

I agree with the other posters on here, who also recommended the co-operative bank to me. They were brilliant and very understanding as I told them that we were applying for a IVA and we just needed a basic account for salaries and to pay Direct Debit's. They did it all over the phone. Our nearest branch is also quite a distance and in a most awkward to get to place. But apart from only paying cheques in, which is done at the post office, everything else is either done on line or at any ATM machine. Definatley worth giving them a call.

Sam x
F&F accepted 12/8/13 - Awaiting Completion Certificate :-)
Thanks to everyone for your support. Could'nt have done it without you.

scaredykat

Post by scaredykat » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:29 pm
Hi, i have just opened an account with the yorkshire bank, and i told them that i was looking into doing an iva...had no problems they were very nice xx

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:42 pm
Both come highly recommended and good to see that they will take people who are having debt problems.
Bob Marley.

bigtrouble

Post by bigtrouble » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:36 am
try Lloyds - we have a fully operational account with debit card, cheque book - they state on their website that even if you have a poor credit history they will still be able to offer you an account

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:57 am
All good advice above about various accounts, very helpful to members of the forum.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”