Car Hire

3 posts Page 1 of 1

UpToMyNeck

Post by UpToMyNeck » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:33 pm
Hey all, just a quick question, which I guess a lot of people might have come up against - does anyone know how to get around the issue of not having a credit card when it comes to hiring a car? Ive looked at a few on t'internet, and the all seem to want a credit card to put a block against it for any damage you do to the car. I have asked one whether I can leave a cash deposit, but the answer was "no".

Any ideas?

Do prepaid credit have the same level of acceptance as normal ones? So if I put the money on a pre-paid card, and used that to secure the hire car, would that work?

Any help appreciated. [:D]
Non sibi sed omnibus

louiseh

Post by louiseh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:07 pm
You can use the pre paid cashplus credit card, you have to have it a few months, have a few transactions and then request the car hire facility. Its the only prepaid card that I think you can use for car hire. Also I think Europcar and national will allow to to hire a car if you leave a debit card deposit.

UpToMyNeck

Post by UpToMyNeck » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:19 pm
Thanks Louise - I did used to have a cashplus card and used it for a while, but then let the card expire as I didnt see the point of loading it with money from my bank account, and then using the card to pay for stuff - it seemed easier to just pay for things with my debit card in the first place. I guess I can see whether they can reinstate the card, and give me credit for the transactions I had made up to that point to see if they will enable the car hire facility. Good tip re europcar and national, although they do seem rather pricey compared to others. Cheers.
Non sibi sed omnibus
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “friends corner”