Car total loss

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
mumof3
by mumof3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:10 pm
Well I’m having a fantastic time at the moment. I very stupidly (don’t ask me how I did it) damaged my car coming out of a car park. Thought it’s ok, just body work, insurance will sort. No, they’ve said it’s a total loss as not worth getting it fixed for the price. I’m waiting for them to come to a figure for the car. It’s an old car (2008) so not worth a lot. I’m assuming once I get money for the car I won’t have to pay this in to the IVA as I will need to buy a replacement car. Wish me luck trying to find a 7 seater car for the money I will get. I’ve just spent money on my car too, new tyres, new battery, MOT and some minor repairs :(
Shaun Vickery
Industry Expert
Contact
by Shaun Vickery » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:43 pm
If it's fairly superficial, do you need to get it fixed? Alternatively you could consider buying it back from the insurance company and getting the work done yourself?
mumof3
by mumof3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:15 pm
Shaun Vickery wrote:
If it's fairly superficial, do you need to get it fixed? Alternatively you could consider buying it back from the insurance company and getting the work done yourself?

I am going to try that Shaun if insurance will let me. I’ve been quoted £800 to fix it, it needs two new doors on. I’ve done a good job on it :(
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:25 pm
If it is insurance written off, there are levels that can be worked round to get the car back 'road worthy' for small amounts of cash (relatively) . If it is only Cat N then you can cheaply get it back on the road as no notification is made to DVLC to say it has been insurance write of classification. If just big dents then I personally would just live with them, adds character! or try to pull them with a glass carrying sucker so they don't look as bed.
mumof3
by mumof3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:02 pm
MerlinL14 wrote:
If it is insurance written off, there are levels that can be worked round to get the car back 'road worthy' for small amounts of cash (relatively) . If it is only Cat N then you can cheaply get it back on the road as no notification is made to DVLC to say it has been insurance write of classification. If just big dents then I personally would just live with them, adds character! or try to pull them with a glass carrying sucker so they don't look as bed.

The rear door is coming away so a big gap from top of door near the window unfortunately.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:16 pm
Fingers crossed you can get something sorted.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:27 pm
mumof3 wrote:
MerlinL14 wrote:

The rear door is coming away so a big gap from top of door near the window unfortunately.

If the pillars are still straight and you get to buy the wreck back doors can be had from eBay and they do, literally, just bolt on ! You might be multi-coloured for a while, but often you can get matched doors from the scrappers ( also try asking on the owners forum for whatever vehicle it is ... most makes have them). IP might agree a payment break to help meet costs of repair (subject to the insurance classification, as Merlin says) .
mumof3
by mumof3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:01 pm
Thanks all!
Just glad husband has a company car we can use on evenings and weekends because it’s been two weeks already and no further forward with insurance.
sandybrowneyes2002
by sandybrowneyes2002 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:48 pm
My car was written off. I was allowed to keep the insurance money to buy another.

Hope that helps :D
mumof3
by mumof3 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:50 pm
I’ve emailed IP to make them aware of situation. Insurance have offered me enough money to get myself another car, literally like for like just a different colour, so just waiting for money to come though then will pick it up. Less stressed now :)
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:57 pm
Brilliant!
mumof3
by mumof3 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm
Well....the car we found ended up to be a load of junk and broke down within 2 hours! So back it went and refunded.
I’ve found another car but it’s more money than my settlement. My parents said they would pay the difference for me. I’ve asked IVA if this is ok and hopefully it is, just waiting for reply. On their last email they said they would look at my settlement figures and a new vehicle details and consider if I could keep the settlement. I hope so, else I don’t know what I will do without a vehicle.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:35 pm
Fingers crossed!!
mumof3
by mumof3 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:19 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Fingers crossed!!

Fingers and toes crossed! Although I doubt will be a problem, as having a vehicle was all ok in the IVA paperwork.
mumof3
by mumof3 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:57 am
All fine on the car front. IP happy for us to go ahead and get the new vehicle.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”