Cars!!!

24 posts Page 1 of 2

martgoingmad

Post by martgoingmad » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:04 pm
Hello all,

I'm after a bit of advice from this vast pool of IVA knowledge.

My car is tarting to play up, and as it is very important to me, my journey to work would take over 2 hours each way without it!!

If it dies do you suggest I as for an IVA payment break to buy a "new" car or see about leasing one? I know tehre is a lease company that help people in IVA's?

I do have acces to cheaper repairs but gain is it finacially worth it?

Thanks for your replies in advance

Martyn
To err is human. To teach 16-21 year olds is just damn crazy!!!
IVA Started October 2009.
33 months down - 27 to go

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:36 pm
Hi Martyn, would always be worth talking to your IP and taking their advice. I think a reliable car is required in an IVA x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:25 pm
Hi Martin,

Dunctons are the company that are good for people in IVA's/ BR etc.

Do you know how much you would need for a reliable car and is there any way of raising the funds...i.e. a mortgage payment break?

If there is no alternative, approach your IP with your intentions..paymnent breaks to cover the cost of a car or possibly reduced payments.

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:50 pm
The main financial pain in our lives is the blooming car & something I often wonder about if it starts to get to much to maintain.

Duncton does come up often on here n Ive looked at the website & its something we would not manage to do.
A payment break is also another idea too - pending on how much you want to spend & need etc.
Get intouch with your IP?IVA firm n see what your options are.
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

SometimesTina

Post by SometimesTina » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:27 pm
When my car blew up half way through my IVA, they wouldnt accomoadte me in any way on getting a new one, as the one that blew up was on HP. It was all really messy
Best Wishes,
Tina x

Even trannies get in debt

martgoingmad

Post by martgoingmad » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:09 pm
It's happened!!!

The car has died........

On the way back from shopping, it gave up the ghost. Cheapest estimate is about £400 to fix, using a friend.

This now means a call to my IP, (Mel's partner Sue) and see what my options are. I was hoping to at least pay a whole years paymenst before asking for a break!!!!

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:15 pm
Wifes MOT just cost us £790. Thats our car maintenance budget for 3 years!!!

Paul

A 3 month payment break may well give you enough to buy a cheap runaround that may or may not be worth the money!!
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:17 pm
Not good Mart. It's one of those things though and I'm sure Mel's team will sort you out.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

martgoingmad

Post by martgoingmad » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:17 pm
Hi Paul,

Already paid £300 in January for MOT.

Cars. Ahhhhhh!!!!![:(]

Just wish I had kept my finance car instead of getting rid of it to try and save money before my IVA as it was a secured finance agreemnet I realise now I would have kept it and it would be nearly paid for!!!

Martyn

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:21 pm
Hindsight Martyn is a wonderful thing, I had to take a payment break after only paying one months payment into my IVA. Melanie's team are a wonderfully thoughtful team and I'm sure a way forward can be found xx
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

martgoingmad

Post by martgoingmad » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:25 pm
Thanks for this, just nervous. My I&E has changed over teh year and it's been difficult to keep up, I'm not sure how much I have underpaid already due to losing this benefit gaining this income!!!

This is to top off having to fork out nearly £70 at the end of August after my youngest with heart problems spent a week in hospital, after we had carefully worked out money to spend while we were away camping then visiting family.

My Stress level is now like my temperature gauge in my car was - off the scale [xx(]

Martyn x

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:33 pm
Oh Martyn, you're having a rough time, I can imagine your stress level is coming close to off the scale. Once you've spoken to Melanie's team I'm sure things will seem better and I know as I'm with Melanie too they'll do all they can to help you. And remember, we're all here for support too. x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:43 pm
I'm so sorry to hear about all of your problems Mart - this is not a good year is it?

I hope your youngest is ok now?
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

martgoingmad

Post by martgoingmad » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:49 pm
Thanks all for your replies.

This year has been tough as they say teh 1st year is, but ours seems to come in large burst over short intervals.

The youngest is OK, it should of only been a few days but we were not originally under the care of the cardiac people and they made a slight error in his treatment which meant the cardiac peopel needed to mop up and sort out so it was an extra 4 days.

We ended up getting a cheap parking permit 1 day before we left but it had paid for itself by the end of the 2 days.

Martyn
X

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:03 pm
I'm glad he is ok.

The rest will sort itself out.
Bob Marley.
24 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “friends corner”