Civil servants in IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Danell
by Danell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:48 pm
I am a civil servant and am one payment away from completing my 6 year Iva. I have recently applied for a new role (promotion) and got it. This means l have to go through vetting, I've completed the form and it asked about finances I declared l was in an Iva and that it was almost over. I'm now worried that I'll fail vetting and not only loose my promotion but loose my current post. I started working for them in 2014, my Iva was 2011, but l wasn't vetted then. Last thing on my mind was telling anyone, I was just paying it. I never knew you had to declare, I was ashamed and hardly anyone knows. Does anyone have any advice. I'm out of my mind with worry and feel like a criminal
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 pm
It is part of the civil service terms and conditions that you notify them when you enter an IVA, but this does not usually affect the job or promotion, depending on your actual role. They might get miffed that you didn't inform them, but there is nothing you can do about that now. Hopefully they will be reasonable about it all. Best of luck.
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:40 am
You need to look at the Standards of Behaviour guidance for your department.
Depending on which role you undertake depends on what you need to do (I know as I am one) - for me I worked in a customer facing role and had to inform them - the only restriction placed on me was I could not be the finance officer - but to be honest the guidance referred to bankruptcy only but I decided to tell my line manager as I was often very stressed at work over things and broke down down one day.

Vetting for your new role if in the same department us likely to consist of nothing more than your attendance records and your performance markings for last 2 years . Depending on your bew role a DBS check may be done.
I wouldn't worry am sure you will be fine !
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”