Co-op Bank has refused account

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
28 posts Page 2 of 2

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:05 pm
If you have a perfectly good current account, why open an account with less facilities? I normally advise my clients to open a new account immediately while their credit rating is fine so that they can have a debit card, cheque book etc. You can have these facilities while in an IVA and you do not have to have the most basic of accounts.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Seems strange if you already have an account with them.

Co-op are not bothered about your credit rating for a basic account.

I would certainly query why as you already have an account.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Gazsun

Post by Gazsun » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:21 pm
I need a simple account to hold a float from my company for expenses. They are dragging there feet on a company credit card and don’t want to pay for a pre paid credit card.
I thought the simplest thing to do is have the cashminder account and my employer can just BACS into it and has nothing to do with my “normal” account i.e. card fraud.
I will give it a couple of days and see what happens.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:24 pm
That makes sense and hopefully co-op will give you the new account although a company credit card does sound like the best option.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:17 pm
Hope you get it sorted. Let us know.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

opronnie

Post by opronnie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:22 pm
Hi, has anybody who has had problems with the norm on the high street come across the positive online current account? Our company set it up with a large plc in London beginning of this year because of the frustration my clients went through applying for even basic current accounts with the likes of co-op, hsbc etc when they were considering going onto debt management plan or iva bankruptcy etc.... the account is managed online, you get a mastercard debitcard, you can set up standing orders, you can have wages paid into the account and send bacs but the main important thing is if you want to allocate certain amounts of money from your wages to essential bills that you must not touch you can lock those accounts in so impulse purchases dont get the better of you when you are out... it has been designed to help people budget but still receive financial flexibility at the same time. There are no credit checks so no disappointed .there are nominal charges for the use of the account but as things are going with the highstreet lenders currently the end of free banking is up on us... thats if they give you an account!!! have a look here... *link removed*

*Sorry opronnie, advertising links are not allowed.*
Last edited by opronnie on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayb

Post by rayb » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:27 pm
Opronnie you are not allowed to advertise your services on this website

Gazsun

Post by Gazsun » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:12 pm
Just an update on my situation with the Co Op.
I rang the bank on Tuesday and asked if I had been given the cashminder account yet. I was told that there was still a referral showing on the system and they were not authorised to give me an explanation of why but was assured that it "should be ok".
Just gone online today with the bank to see magically a cashminder account has appeared in my name and my joint account has been upgraded + I have been given an savings account (something I talked about to the bank when I first set up with them)!!
Now don’t get me wrong I am more than happy with my dealings with the Co-Op after the fiasco of dealing with Santander (don’t ask!) but it would have been nice to have had an email telling me this was happening.
Gary
Ps reading back it sounds like I am moaning but far from it :-)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:21 pm
Excellent news! Would have been nice if they could have phoned or emailed you though.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:46 pm
Great news Gary, hope you enjoy your account I know others are more than happy with theirs. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

opronnie

Post by opronnie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:19 pm
i wasnt plugging the account as we advertise everywhere anyway... i was mearly pointing out the fact that there are other options out there than the high street banks. it is evident that the high street have had their fingers burned and they will be taking it out on the class of people that wont make them the most money going forward. if we have an ethical product alongside many others it is right for a forum of this nature to tell people about their options. i would bet that somewhere down the line some sponsor of this site who pays quite a handsome sum would not be blocked or censored when making people aware of "Other" products on the market. You quite happily let people talk till they are blue in the face about co-op, barclays and santander and the likes so why are you censoring my input?

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:59 pm
Your input isn't being censored. Advertising isn't allowed on the forum, but people are more than welcome to recommend a bank that they are happy with.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:57 pm
I agree with Skippy. Your post has not been censored, the advertising links have been removed as it is not allowed.

Our posters are allowed to recommend from personal experience. None of our experts are allowed to post advertising on here.
Bob Marley.
28 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”