Completion certificate

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Mattacks1957
by Mattacks1957 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:03 pm
Hello one and all.
I made my final 60th payment to my IVA on the 1st October this year, my Iva practioner Stepchange, issued my completion certificate on the 18th October. I had read elsewhere that if you drop a line to the insolvency registry they would take your name off the register. Not so. I emailed them and was told you have to wait 3 months from the date they are notified (in my case 5th November) to have it removed. How frustrating and I can’t see the point. Seems like it just goes on forever.....
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:17 pm
Mattacks1957 wrote:
Hello one and all.
I made my final 60th payment to my IVA on the 1st October this year, my Iva practioner Stepchange, issued my completion certificate on the 18th October. I had read elsewhere that if you drop a line to the insolvency registry they would take your name off the register. Not so. I emailed them and was told you have to wait 3 months from the date they are notified (in my case 5th November) to have it removed. How frustrating and I can’t see the point. Seems like it just goes on forever.....

This is a long running discussion --- sometimes (rarely these days) your name can drop off early, but the official position is "up to" three months, usually, in practice, three months to the day!
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:40 pm
Pretty much what Foggy said. We've had Clients who managed to speak to someone helpful and they were taken off within 24 hours but it does seem to be luck of the draw sadly.

Regards
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:12 pm
Mine was gone in 2 weeks but most are 3 months.
abbiesmum2003
by abbiesmum2003 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:52 pm
I didnt realise we had to inform the insolvency register!
We had had our CC for a couple of weeks now and not got round to doing anything about it!
Who do we have to write too?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 pm
abbiesmum2003 wrote:
I didnt realise we had to inform the insolvency register!
We had had our CC for a couple of weeks now and not got round to doing anything about it!
Who do we have to write too?

You don't, though some firms advise you to. The IP should inform the Insolvency Service directly.
Mattacks1957
by Mattacks1957 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:01 pm
Hello again
Cut a long story short, it seems anyone who was removed before 3 months was very lucky. I spoke to them today and they are emphatic it will be 3 months. Unless, they said, being on the register will endanger your safety.
So 3 months it is then. Boy they really want to rub your nose in it. I see no reason why anyone should not be removed promptly upon completion.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:07 pm
Mattacks1957 wrote:
Hello again
Cut a long story short, it seems anyone who was removed before 3 months was very lucky. I spoke to them today and they are emphatic it will be 3 months. Unless, they said, being on the register will endanger your safety.
So 3 months it is then. Boy they really want to rub your nose in it. I see no reason why anyone should not be removed promptly upon completion.

When I completed, people were routinely being removed within days and, even then, they denied that this ever happened !
Mattacks1957
by Mattacks1957 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:29 pm
Yes, exactly the guy there it can’t be done and those that had been must have been pre 2010 before the legislation changed. Just have to accept it I guess. I have learned some severe lessons in all of this. Spoke to a PPI guy today who told me that any PPI I successfully claimed in future belongs to my practioner. In spite of StepChange making no such mention of it in my completion certificate. So I asked him that if I successfully claimed PPI 10 years down the (I know the deadline is next year) would I get to keep it? He couldn’t say. PPI companies don’t want to get involved with anyone ever involved with an IVA it seems.
Ryan
Industry Expert
Contact
by Ryan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:33 pm
Yes it's nonsense unfortunately. We've had quite a few Clients this year who have been taken off after they have phoned them.

Regards
Mattacks1957
by Mattacks1957 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:37 pm
Ryan wrote:
Yes it's nonsense unfortunately. We've had quite a few Clients this year who have been taken off after they have phoned them.

Regards

They must have all been at ‘risk’ by being on the register or the insolvency service like playing tin gods
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:37 pm
Mattacks1957 wrote:
Yes, exactly the guy there it can’t be done and those that had been must have been pre 2010 before the legislation changed. Just have to accept it I guess. I have learned some severe lessons in all of this. Spoke to a PPI guy today who told me that any PPI I successfully claimed in future belongs to my practioner. In spite of StepChange making no such mention of it in my completion certificate. So I asked him that if I successfully claimed PPI 10 years down the (I know the deadline is next year) would I get to keep it? He couldn’t say. PPI companies don’t want to get involved with anyone ever involved with an IVA it seems.

PPI belongs to your creditors in perpetuity (in theory). In practice, as time goes by, it becomes less economical for the IP to dig out old records and chase old creditors and they will return the refund to you or tell the lender making the refund that they have no further interest. Stepchange, it seems, has little interest in PPI at all, at least from posters on here.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:08 am
Gladstone Brooks flatly refused to deal with us once they found out we had been in an IVA.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:14 am
kallis3 wrote:
Gladstone Brooks flatly refused to deal with us once they found out we had been in an IVA.

To be honest, this is not a bad thing, as, if they had gone ahead and found PPI which the refunder decided to pay direct to the IP, or offset, you could have been landed for a bill of around 30% in fees ! Gladstone Brooks, sensibly, recognise that, having been in an IVA, you wouldn't have the money for that and they would probably not be able to get it through enforcement.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:21 am
I agree - I was just surprised to be told that after finishing my IVA as I did not realise it was due to be paid across.
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”