Contents insurance renewal, refused multiple time as i am in IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
massivehen
by massivehen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:58 pm
Hi, I have only just registered on this site and I tried to see if there was a thread already for my question, however, I could not find one. So my apologies if this has been covered.

I started my IVA around July 2017 and it came time for me to renew my contents insurance. The provider I was with had increased the quote and this prompted me to find an alternative. Being the normal lazy consumer I went to a comparison site and found many cheaper options.

I applied for the first one, it all seamed fine, however declined me at sign up on their site. Seamed odd, so tried the second. Still no joy. The third took my initial payment and all seamed fine, then they called and advised they would need to cancel the policy due to either my payment history, which was fine, or something else on my credit file. Then the penny dropped.

I then found a company that offered policies to people with IVA's and this again went through the initial payment however after contacting them they have cancelled the policy also...

These providers are advising they will offer cover if I pay upfront, which I don't have the money for right now as I was not expecting this.

Does anyone here know of a company that would be able to support me given that any credit check is now going to show multiple refusals and that would provide this on a monthly Direct Debit?

Thanks a bunch for your time.
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:07 pm
I had my contents coverage through the Post Office when in my IVA, in fact I still have it with them.
massivehen
by massivehen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 pm
MerlinL14 wrote:
I had my contents coverage through the Post Office when in my IVA, in fact I still have it with them.

Thanks, I have just tried them and was met with the question that appears to be stumping me on all these sites

"Have you or anyone in the property been refused or had contents insurance cancelled or special terms imposed"

I answer honestly, as I have now been refused multiple times, and I cannot get a quote.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:33 pm
The problem lies with two factors: you are failing the credit check and you are dealing with a computer system which sees everything in black and white. The "refusals" won't show up as such .. many of us go through several quiotes and checks when renewing. I believe it will just show as a search for insurance quotes.

I would try either a broker, who might be able to assist or contacting firms directly on the phone.
massivehen
by massivehen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:40 pm
Foggy wrote:
The problem lies with two factors: you are failing the credit check and you are dealing with a computer system which sees everything in black and white. The "refusals" won't show up as such .. many of us go through several quiotes and checks when renewing. I believe it will just show as a search for insurance quotes.

I would try either a broker, who might be able to assist or contacting firms directly on the phone.

"I believe it will just show as a search for insurance quotes." - That's really good to know. Thanks for the advice, I checked my credit file and it does indeed show as a search. I think that will help me a lot.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.
J5453
by J5453 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:24 pm
Hi, would you not be able to stay with the current insurer and tell your IP that one of your outgoings has increased to make allowances for that each month? And they’d simply need the evidence in the way of your bank statement or DD payments letter.

That way, and someone can correct me if im wrong, they probably won’t credit check you again if already a customer? It’s like the mobile phone contracts where if you stay with same provider, they don’t usually credit check you again?

Not sure if that is any help? Just a thought.
nuttymarbles
by nuttymarbles » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:37 am
I am with Aviva, and they never asked the question if I was in an iva, ive been with them 2 years now, and did it all online, and they are reasonably priced, hope this helps.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”