Council are now chasing my partner, saying she has to pay the bill

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
chris837
by chris837 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:33 pm
Good afternoon

I am currently in an IVA, and part of it is an outstanding council tax bill.
Obviously I am currently paying my IVA, meaning eventually the council tax bill will be paid off.
However, the council are now chasing my partner, removing my name from letters, saying she has to pay the bill

Do we need to pay it twice?

Thank you
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:03 pm
The bill would only be partially paid from the IVA and, as a resident adult your partner has now become the liable resident. She will be liable for any shortfall.
chris837
by chris837 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:32 am
Foggy wrote:
The bill would only be partially paid from the IVA and, as a resident adult your partner has now become the liable resident. She will be liable for any shortfall.

Ok thank you, they're currently asking for a payment plan to be made to clear the total debt of £1200 within the next financial year so it doesn't seem that it's the shortfall they're trying to make up? Our income/expenditure hasn't changed since I entered my IVA, and I really have no idea how to pay an extra £100 a month if we are going to have to pay it off twice!
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:33 am
Your partner will need to pay the Council debt and then she will claim in your IVA as a subrogated creditor, in place of the Council.
chris837
by chris837 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:00 am
Lisa Thomas wrote:
Your partner will need to pay the Council debt and then she will claim in your IVA as a subrogated creditor, in place of the Council.

Thank you for your reply. Does the debt HAVE to be paid within April - march or is there any leeway? I understand everywhere is different, I just would prefer to pay over say 18 months if it might be possible rather than risk not being able to afford my IVA monthly payments trying to pay council as well. Just trying to get 'my ducks in a row' before we further communicate with said parties. Thanks again for the reply
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:34 am
chris837 wrote:
Lisa Thomas wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Does the debt HAVE to be paid within April - march or is there any leeway? I understand everywhere is different, I just would prefer to pay over say 18 months if it might be possible rather than risk not being able to afford my IVA monthly payments trying to pay council as well. Just trying to get 'my ducks in a row' before we further communicate with said parties. Thanks again for the reply

Councils, at least mine, are open to negotiation as long as they feel you are being genuine. They prefer the debt cleared within the CT year, but can carry it over.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”