Council Tax in an IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
sally676
by sally676 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:10 am
Hello. I started my IVA in July 2017. Around August 2017 I received a letter from the council saying that I would no longer be paying c/tax due a ruling and my direct debit was stopped.
Around November 2017 I moved to a different borough, and was under the false impression that I wouldn't be paying c/tax until April 2018. I received a letter asking for the outstanding amount which I was able to pull together.
My question is, that if my c/tax for 17/18 for the first borough is included in my IVA, am I entitled to claim a refund from the council for April-July 2017? Because it seems as if the debt is being fulfilled from two places.
Thank you
Sally
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 am
This is a difficult one to answer because different councils treat IVA's differently. My local council, for instance, simply writes off the debt and makes no claims for dividends, due to the fact that it would cost, say, £5 to collect £2 ! Additionally, despite the recent ruling, not all IP's include CT as a debt, but still ring fence the CT payments in the agreed allowances.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”