Council tax

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Munster
by Munster » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:05 pm
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me,
I entered an IVA on 28th November 2017 since then I've had 15 letters from my council tax that the full amount was added to my IVA they are hastling me for money, missed direct debits etc they then fined me £122.50 for not paying the final payment by the end of Feb this year, I've sent them numerous emails, letters and eventually managed to get through on the phone after around 20 attempts as you have to hang on for more than an hour to get through eventually I got an apology from them saying I have now been removed from liability on the council tax thinking this was the end of it until today :roll:

My wife who was also on the council tax got a bill for the amount including the fine, so they have passed liability to her but she also entered a debt management scheme around the same time as my IVA both are with McCambridge Duffy.
My wife doesn't work and thus has no income with the exception of child benefits & disability living allowance, but I was told we wouldn't have ot pay the council tax? where do we stand with this as it's causing me a lot of stress now

thank you
Paul
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:28 am
I believe the liability has moved to your partner as she is not in a formal insolvency plan ie IVA or bankruptcy. Debt management plans are informal and built on good will of creditors rather than a formal agreement that is bound by the courts.
Munster
by Munster » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:57 am
luluj wrote:
I believe the liability has moved to your partner as she is not in a formal insolvency plan ie IVA or bankruptcy. Debt management plans are informal and built on good will of creditors rather than a formal agreement that is bound by the courts.

Thanks for the reply,
So in this case McCambirdge Duffy have advised me incorrectly (3rd time now) to not pay the council tax even though they completed both my IVA and my wifes Debt management programme and knew full well the council tax bill was in both names, reason I'm annoyied was I only owed £115 since Oct and If I had carried on paying the council tax by direct debit it would have cost me £35 per month now because the council have failed to answer me for such a long time and McCambridge Duffy seem to be uncontactable at the moment I've now been fined £122.50 for not paying the bill before the end of Feb and they are now threating with court action

I have ot say so far McCambridge Duffy have been extremly poor and damn useless and I wouldn't recommend them added to the fact for nearly 2 weeks I've been trying to contact them I either get an automatic reply saying they cannot take my call please leave a message and they will come back to me, well they don't!!! 15 messages on they still haven't :( :( :( :?
J5453
by J5453 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:46 pm
If you find they haven’t really understood your situation, then maybe arm yourself with some knowledge in these matters and maybe contact CAB first to see where you should be standing in this situation. It does sound like your wife has become liable for the debt which is the usual thing to happen where there are joint debts. And a debt management is not a legally binding formal arrangement like an IVA, therefore allowing them to chase the party they are interested in to get their money. After gaining some independent advice, I think it’s best to keep trying to get through to them and explain the situation you are now in. There’s no problem that cannot be solved in our situations, we just need to know what the best solution is for in our own personal circumstances.

I wish you luck in getting this sorted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”