council tax

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

pauls

Post by pauls » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:05 pm
Good evening hope someone can enlighten me as i am a little lost, i got approved for my IVA back in march this year
and one of my debts included in my IVA was my council tax debt from last year, since april this year i have been making my regular monthly payments to my council tax bill for this year and am all up to date, my next payment is due on the 1st october 2021
all good! then out of the blue the council tax people rang my wife a month ago to say the council tax bill has gone solely
into her name as i was in a IVA and that she was in arrears because all the payments i had made for this year went on paying of the debt for last year!? i rang my IVA company that im with and they contacted the council who said because im in a IVA the debt goes to my wife and she is liabale my question is is this right? the debt back in march was in both our names and why hasnt the debt from last year been included in my IVA? also is it standard practice to put the bill in my wifes name because i have a IVA?? hope im clear as im not good with finacial jargon ect.
paul.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:12 pm
Have you checked your paperwork to make sure this debt was included? If it was then they cannot use your payments to offset against your debt as far as I am aware.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

pauls

Post by pauls » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:31 pm
wow thanks for quick reply, yes the said debt is included and is attached to the chairmans report wich all parties
have been sent.
paul.

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:41 pm
Councils all seem to deal with CT and IVAs differently. Ours simply write off the current years debt and do not interact with the IVA at all.
As for who pays etc. as last years debt was included in the IVA it should be left as is and not pursued ( but, if they council are going to be picky, it could be treated as a joint debt, if you were both named on the bill, in which case the solvent party becomes liable even with the debt being included in your IVA) and the liable party, going forward, will be your wife as the responsible adult in the property.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

pauls

Post by pauls » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:13 pm
Intersting foggy as in the email from the council they did state they cant confirm who paid this years council tax bills?
it was me who paid and i have my evidence from my current account, seems like a grey area where no one knowes whats going on or what to do...including me? appericiate the quick responses
thank you
paul.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”