Do I have to record my wife's income on my annual review ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
michael620
by michael620 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:09 pm
Hi, when I fill in my annual financial reveiw do I have to record what my wife earns as well even though it's not a joint IVA?
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:42 pm
Your IVA provider may 'insist' you do, however if she refuses to submit her earnings there is nothing legally the IVA provider can do other than calculate your payments based on 50/50 calculations from what you submit as your I&E.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
Sometimes a joint income is used to calculate the payment, either if the insolvent spouse would be unable to make viable payments, or, in the case of at least one charity firm, because they work on household income. The first I can see as a way to get an IVA if it would be otherwise unworkable the second I see as a ploy to increase income by getting the solvent spouse to pay the other's debts in part.

Many firms ask for the spousal income at the start simply to calculate a fair share of household expenses. Otherwise they just work on a 50/50 basis. They do not generally ask again as, frankly, it is none of their business.

I would try the "my partner refuses" line first or simply not mentioning it and see what the reaction is.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”