Do I keep paying HMRC after my IVA has finished?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

JohnnyBravo

Post by JohnnyBravo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:02 pm
Hi. My IVA started in August 2013 and finished in August 2018 (Yipeeeee!!) I received my completion certificate today. On the certificate was a list of creditors, one being HM Revenue & Customs. This was for an over-payment of Child Tax Credits over a number of years with a total of £11,600.91. I was contacted by HMRC in February 2017 advising me they wanted me to pay off this debt. The debt was a joint debt with my wife and HMRC wanted me to pay £5800.43. I told the adviser on the phone that all of the debt was put into the IVA but he said I was still responsible for the £5800.43. As it was HMRC I set up a payment plan for £50 per month which I have paid without fail since March 2017. My question is, shall I call them and ask if I should still be paying the £50 per month as all the debt was included in my IVA. If they write off the debt would I be entitled to a refund? I thought I would get some advice before I call them. Your help would be appreciated!

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:59 pm
As the debt was joint with your wife only your share would have been covered by the arrangement. I assume the £5,800.43 they have asked for is your wife's share, which will have to be paid.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk

JohnnyBravo

Post by JohnnyBravo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:54 pm
Foggy wrote:
As the debt was joint with your wife only your share would have been covered by the arrangement. I assume the £5,800.43 they have asked for is your wife's share, which will have to be paid.
Thanks for the prompt reply Foggy. As the debt was joint with my wife I fear you are correct in what you are saying. I suppose I was hoping that as the total debt was mentioned on my IVA report it would be a simple call to HMRC saying I didn't need to pay the balance....I think I was a little naive. Do you still think a call would make any difference or is it that clear-cut?

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:03 pm
JohnnyBravo wrote:
Foggy wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply Foggy. As the debt was joint with my wife I fear you are correct in what you are saying. I suppose I was hoping that as the total debt was mentioned on my IVA report it would be a simple call to HMRC saying I didn't need to pay the balance....I think I was a little naive. Do you still think a call would make any difference or is it that clear-cut?
A call shouldn't do any harm (he says, optimistically) , but I think your payments will have to continue.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”