Do I keep paying HMRC after my IVA has finished?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
JohnnyBravo
by JohnnyBravo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:02 pm
Hi. My IVA started in August 2013 and finished in August 2018 (Yipeeeee!!) I received my completion certificate today. On the certificate was a list of creditors, one being HM Revenue & Customs. This was for an over-payment of Child Tax Credits over a number of years with a total of £11,600.91. I was contacted by HMRC in February 2017 advising me they wanted me to pay off this debt. The debt was a joint debt with my wife and HMRC wanted me to pay £5800.43. I told the adviser on the phone that all of the debt was put into the IVA but he said I was still responsible for the £5800.43. As it was HMRC I set up a payment plan for £50 per month which I have paid without fail since March 2017. My question is, shall I call them and ask if I should still be paying the £50 per month as all the debt was included in my IVA. If they write off the debt would I be entitled to a refund? I thought I would get some advice before I call them. Your help would be appreciated!
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:59 pm
As the debt was joint with your wife only your share would have been covered by the arrangement. I assume the £5,800.43 they have asked for is your wife's share, which will have to be paid.
JohnnyBravo
by JohnnyBravo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:54 pm
Foggy wrote:
As the debt was joint with your wife only your share would have been covered by the arrangement. I assume the £5,800.43 they have asked for is your wife's share, which will have to be paid.

Thanks for the prompt reply Foggy. As the debt was joint with my wife I fear you are correct in what you are saying. I suppose I was hoping that as the total debt was mentioned on my IVA report it would be a simple call to HMRC saying I didn't need to pay the balance....I think I was a little naive. Do you still think a call would make any difference or is it that clear-cut?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:03 pm
JohnnyBravo wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply Foggy. As the debt was joint with my wife I fear you are correct in what you are saying. I suppose I was hoping that as the total debt was mentioned on my IVA report it would be a simple call to HMRC saying I didn't need to pay the balance....I think I was a little naive. Do you still think a call would make any difference or is it that clear-cut?

A call shouldn't do any harm (he says, optimistically) , but I think your payments will have to continue.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”