Does having any IVA affect our chances of fostering?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

marcus514

Post by marcus514 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:43 pm
Hi we are making enquiries about fostering at the moment do I need to mention we are in a iva we have about 2yrs left and should it make any difference to us being accepted as Foster carers. Thankyou

Foggy

Forum Expert

Post by Foggy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:21 pm
We have had a number of posters in IVA's who are fostering and it hasn't been an issue for the fostering agency -- however, sometimes the fostering allowance has to be a matter of negotiation / discussion with the IP as there is an income element to it.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
Visit my blog here : http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk/

mumof3

Post by mumof3 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:14 pm
We were looking to foster (before we were in the IVA) but we didn’t go ahead after meeting with the council when they said your financial situation is secrutonised. They look at bank statements, debts etc to make sure that you can afford to live basically and nothing would affect a potential foster child. I’m not sure if being in a IVA would help or hinder, as to me being in an IVA shows that you do have the funds to now live properly and pay all bills.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:40 am
It may bring in to question the motivation for fostering. Horrible as it may sound and I mean no offence. Not sure anyone ever got rich fostering but everything is looked at very closely.

You would need to disclose it so maybe an informal chat just now to see what they think will prevent a failed application.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”