Does my partners tax rebate have to get paid into my IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Iri1
by Iri1 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:19 am
I have an IVA. My partner is due a tax refund, he is included in my income when the IP calculated my IVA monthly payments. The debt is not joint, it is only mine. Does his tax refund goes to my IVA or it is solely his possession?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:46 am
Iri1 wrote:
I have an IVA. My partner is due a tax refund, he is included in my income when the IP calculated my IVA monthly payments. The debt is not joint, it is only mine. Does his tax refund goes to my IVA or it is solely his possession?

His finances are his own business but Payplan, for instance, do include the solvent partner's income actually in the disposable income, whereas most others only want this information to work out the fair share of expenses.
J5453
by J5453 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:36 am
Hi,

Like Foggy says, his finances are his business.

Not sure which company you are with but I’m with Payplan and they only wanted to know my half of the bills that I was paying and left my partners finances out of it. We are not married, don’t have joint accounts and met him after my Iva started. We live together and he bought our home so I’m not jointly on mortgage yet but pay my half of the mortgage, electric, TV/Internet/phone, insurance etc.

They are fully aware of my living status and never ask for his income to be disclosed so he is not part of my IVA in any way shape or form. Just as long as he pays his half allowing me to put my maximum available amount into the IVA
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:59 am
J5453 wrote:
Hi,

Like Foggy says, his finances are his business.

Not sure which company you are with but I’m with Payplan and they only wanted to know my half of the bills that I was paying and left my partners finances out of it. We are not married, don’t have joint accounts and met him after my Iva started. We live together and he bought our home so I’m not jointly on mortgage yet but pay my half of the mortgage, electric, TV/Internet/phone, insurance etc.

They are fully aware of my living status and never ask for his income to be disclosed so he is not part of my IVA in any way shape or form. Just as long as he pays his half allowing me to put my maximum available amount into the IVA

You are lucky, in a way, that you met your partner after the IVA started. Payplan normally take the stance that, when you have been living together for a while when th IVA is being set up, the solvent partner has benefitted from whatever the debt has paid for and, therefore, should contribute ! They may have eased off or changed a little since, but a few years back I had a bit of a humdinger with a Payplan rep on another forum, as he was saying even working children should contribute ! (I was "removed" from that forum and blocked from posting!).
J5453
by J5453 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:25 am
That sounds really tight as how do they know what every penny went on? It makes the term individual seem positively daft if taking someone else not in the iva into account.

At least they see sense if you weren’t even with that person when the debts were racked up!
Iri1
by Iri1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:34 pm
Foggy wrote:
Iri1 wrote:

His finances are his own business but Payplan, for instance, do include the solvent partner's income actually in the disposable income, whereas most others only want this information to work out the fair share of expenses.

Do you think I have to inform my IP about his finances/tax rebate? I am really confused not sure what to do, what will be the right thing?
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”